What's new

How much do mods sway your decision when purchasing a car?

Reaction score
Country
As the title really. When purchasing a new car, how much do the mods on it help convince you to go for it? Would you pay much extra for a nicely modded example?

Soon I'll be selling my S15, but I'm not sure how I want to sell it yet. It's got a full compliment of Defi BF gauges and a link display in it currently, and I'm toying with the idea of putting some RPF1 type wheels that are practically brand new to give it an nice aggressive look on to sell it.

Is it worth trying to sell it in a more standard form and sell off the nice bits (suspension, wheels, gauges, stereo etc) separately, or do peeps think that it will sell easier, obviously for a higher price, with fancy bits on?

Reaction score
Country
when i buy a car, i generally look for one that has the mods on it already, it just saves me so much money in the long run as i have modified standard cars in the past and it cost me a bomb!! but obviously i only buy the modified car if it is in excellent condition, no amount of mods would get me to buy a ****ter haha

Reaction score
Country
I'd personally rather have a few bits on it, but if your unsure, advertise it with 2 prices.
1 with mods, 1 stock.

Reaction score
Country
quite simply - depends on the mods!

if I feel that it's been done right and looked after well then I'd maybe pay that little bit extra. if I see lot of eBay parts or parts I don't like I steer clear. that's not to say you won't end up buying a ****ter but common sense on car condition still more important than mods. I'd rather buy an immaculate standard s15 than one with a lot of mods from no name brands if you get me?

Reaction score
The trouble is, even with nice mods people will still low ball you to get the best deal. You'll end up selling it for not much more then if it was stock. Sometimes mods can lead people to think it has been trashed.

I reckon sell it close to stock and sell the good bits to people who are building up their car and appreciate quality products.

Reaction score
Country
Pretty much all of the stuff is top quality kit, not ebay tat.
Think I might try for a good price with the goodies on, and if it doesn't sell, take some off and drop the price accordingly.

Reaction score
Country
I personally never buy a modified car. Full stop. The only 'mod' that came on my car was the exhaust wasnt OEM as the original owner said that when the stock one rotted, he couldnt get a genuine nissan one, so went with the closest match.

I just dont like buying modified cars because it always makes me think 'its been ragged'. which i know is a huge stereotype, but, a just one. People don't make a car faster without experimenting and testing it. I know some people know how to drive and not break things, but some people really dont know how to drive or modify a car safely.

So in short, a modified car looks to me like someone has abused it. A stock car makes me think its been loved or rarely driven hard.

Reaction score
Country
So in short, a modified car looks to me like someone has abused it. A stock car makes me think its been loved or rarely driven hard.
in my time, i have gone to look at many fully standard s-bodies and and about 70% have been heaps of ****!(bare in mind these where uk 200sx's) like your average standard uk 200sx is a rot box with high mileage and owned by some dude who barely ever serviced it :/ where as i have bought insanely mint s14a silvias and s15's that were modified in japan and could never find one thing wrong with them. but then again i have seen some dodgy modified ones too which i would not touch. its all down to the previous owner at the end of the day and how well the car was looked after

so i wouldnt fully agree with your statement, but its only my opinion at the end of the day which we are all entitled to :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes. I have mates who turned their car back to stock after flogging the life out of them on the track and street and told the buyers that they were never modified or tracked.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I prefer to buy a modded car providing its has been done right (as it can save you £££), most people on here are are modding there S15's in the right way so I always try and buy cars from owner clubs forums like this, as you can research the usernames and get a good background story of the car :)

Reaction score
Country
Hopefully mine will sell easily, as it's not too heavily modded, and is low mileage with a ton of receipts/history. I've got a few bits still to fit, and a few to swap on to my new motor, but hopefully soon I'll have it ready to go :)

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
You better make that r34 look good dan, cos at the mo it's very Fugly! Where as your silvia is Soooooooooooooo much better looking!

Reaction score
Country
I know, and the silvia looks sooooo good on the new wheels :cool:
Once the 34 is on coilovers, it will look a whole heap better though :nod:

Reaction score
I bought a modded S15 and had 2 years of reliable motoring and sold the car for what I bought it for...

Bought a modded Evo and it lasted 1 day:wack:

That's an unfair comparison though. If you're buying a modified car, it wants to be within reason. the S15 was 340bhp running 1.5bar when I bought it, the Evo was running over 500bhp at 2.2 bar and the turbo suffered a fatigue failure. Anything can happen...

Reaction score
alot when buying. more bang for you buck, when selling though I'd rather take off what i can and sell stock as i can cheap so it goes quick, then sell all the parts seperate make up the diffrence.