What's new

I really want a track car! How many of you have one?

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
I'm 27 years old, I have a house, I'm a mechanic for TVR and I've never owned a track car!!! My S15 is perfect for it but I'm just too scared of hurting it or blowing it up!

The last couple of weeks I've been thinking of selling my 15 and buying a dedicated track car, preferably turbo and RWD. A track spec s13 or 14 would be perfect, as it would cost me 3-4k and leave me 3k to spend on a daily and track time.

My question is how fun is the track?

I mean is the void of getting rid of my pride and joy going to be filled by getting on track and using cars as they should be!

I just don't know!

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
LuPix would be the guy to ask.
I'm all about the pride and joy, it's too late for me to be a real racing driver (age 22) :(

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Never driven a car on track but done fair bit of karting, living 10 mins from clay pigeon raceway is ideal. I love it, the fine line between grip and no grip is so awesome but as you say in the Silvia? I couldn't do it i dont think. Scarily i think mine will be on the market start of next year ish :/ Need to control myself and the never ending mods.

My plan might be something like this, replace the silv with something usefull and nice. A navara or pathfinder(almost completely unmodifiable!, I say that now...:rotfl:) Then trailer and a stripped out ep3. Relatively bomb proof and super hoonable!

Interested to read replies though as i dont know great deal about proper track work apart from it costs the earth and is monstrously addictive!

Reaction score
Country
Just track the S15 :D

They are such a capable car with endless mods you can do....

Yeh it might be daunting stacking it, but you don’t have to enter some GT championship...just do simple track days and have fun. Unless you are really pushing beyond your limit you should run into any problems..

I really want to start tracking mine but need to do a few mods first...I also keep thinking of swapping to an E46 M3 as these are also fantastic track cars whilst retaining comfort and reliability.

Seriously just spend some time browzing forums and reading some track car builds, even some S15 build threads and you will be hooked!

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Yeah that's pretty much everyones opinion! Just track it! But yes I am being a fanny!!! It's just hard to hurt a car that's your daily! So Me and the mrs have decided to buy a cheap runabout that she will use most days (to replace her supra as her daily) and then if my 15 goes bang then I have a spare car to drive!

Its not crashing that I'm worried about, it's more the mechanical damage, turbos, engines and gearboxes being the main thing! Lol.

Ive decided not to sell, I couldn't do it, I have pics of my car on my bedroom wall for god sake! Lol. So track time it is!

Reaction score
Country
I use mine on track all the time. Just make sure you maintain it and you will be fine! Track is awesome, beats go karting 10 fold! Just know your limits, and be careful till you gain some experience. I would start at somewhere with plenty of run off, so you can learn where the cars limits are without worrying about damaging your car when the grip runs out. Then if you want to go into competition then think about either turning the S15 into a dedicated track car or do what Lupix did :)

Reaction score
Country
Sam if your going to track yours soon give me a shout, im up for keevil or coombe anytime. i tracked my 14a loved every minute of it and the 15 will be doing loads of them next year.

Reaction score
Country
I have every intention of tracking mine when shes ready. Seemed like a good car for it when I was looking with plenty of potential.
Maybe we need a club track day organising.

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Stop being a fanny
Thats me! :nod:

Seriously though ive got set of ad08's going on next week and arms to sort camber out then need to finish ebc so I don't blow it up...(6 months so far it's been half fitted:cry:) Plan on doing airfield day to drive it hard and see how it goes. As Sam says just scares me using my main car that I've pumped thousands into on track. I know it's only money "can always earn more" and all that jazz but after all I am a fanny! :ghey:

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
That's not a bad idea about a club track thing! At the end of the day it would be alot better to go with other peeps as it gives you more to talk about, and makes it more FUN! At the end of the day these cars should be fun! Not hard parking! Lol.

Most of the guys who commented on here are from the south west and we have plenty of airfield days. Keevil, colerne (which has the best tarmac of all airfields) hullavington. Then there's Combe! (expensive but a proper track!)

Heres a date for our local ones and prices.

At the end of the day if it breaks then we can all help get each other home! But if you've got oil in your car and boost controlled most cArs will be ok. I'm up for it for sure now!

Reaction score
Country
i was planning on going to the one on the 20th but im working, trying my hardest to get out of working, we really should do a south west track day, at keevil theres nothing to hit!

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Haha nickichi! That cars abit of a ringer apparently, Been rolled badly and then repaired! Although it still looks awesome with stock spoiler! Plus Paul brown cars are proper sharks, it's a gang of asians who I'm guessing aren't called Paul brown, friend of mine bought a skyline off them!

Well November gives us more time to plan prep and pay! Plus it should be colder by then which equals more power, lower temps and cold fingers!!!!

Reaction score
Country
mate don't get rid of the s15 try getting the track car and road s15, iam 25 and in exactly the same boat as you, i want to take my s15 on track days but worry bout herting her so looking at cheap s13 s14, but 300zx cars are dirt cheap maybe look at those

Reaction score
Country
I wouldn’t worry about the engine either if its running healthy and no mad boost...it’s the gearbox you need to watch, but as long as you’re not using some nasty violent twin plate with about 400bhp you should be fine.

Reaction score
I have set mine up for track and it's still a fun car to drive on the street. Track Days are awesome and S15's are well designed to go out and have fun no matter how much or little you do to them.

Don't be scared of damaging them they are pretty robust if you look after the fluids and as has been said, stay away from aggressive clutches.

I have never had any issues at the track, only breaking a rear toe arm going across ripple strips.

Reaction score
Country
tracks are wicked, you dont have to look at your speedo, its a whole different driving experience to the road.

And since you live close enough take your car the the nurburgring, its one of the best things i have ever done, shame it was not the S15 that went though