What's new

Chasing 350hp + at the rears

N

notoriousnismo

Hey guys I'm tony. I have a 180sx with the s15 motor in it. It has a t3 top mount turbo with garret internals, not sure wat turbo it is exactly. Its a stock motor otherwise and I'm putting a fmic and looking to run about 11-12 psi boost.

Just wondering wat other mods do I have to do to get 350+ hp at the rears?

Reaction score
Country
Hi Tony i am Luke and i am not a master mechanic but i am looking for similar power from my car which was a standard s15r and my engine mods are :

hks ssqv3 dump valve
Garrett gt2871r
decat
boost valve
remap

and my cars putting out 286bhp and for me to get 350+ iam going for a

walbro 255 intank pump
feul preasure regulators
nismo 750cc injectors
FMIC

just watch out for fake brands especially with the fpr
oh and the clutch would need uprating but be careful because some clutchs can cause alot of driving problems if not being used for the track

Reaction score
Country
Blood hell didn't expect a reply tonight lol and sorry Tony your right i was looking at z32 myself and i think apexi make a induction filter that fits strait on to the z32 and other things ive been advised on was a different manifold but i think the other bits are more important

Reaction score
Country
haha yea same here i do security work so to much spare time, let me no if you want help with anything else thou a fella on here called spoonman and another that i think is called auss15 no alot more than me and are very helpful if its of any help to you

Reaction score
Country
Out of all the nissans the Z32 reads the highest amount of air flow, even more then nissans V8 afm, which is why its a great one too have, but you will only need it if you are running a ECU that requires a AFM or you could just get a ECU that uses a MAP sensor in the intake manifold, so no need for a AFM

keep in mind that the stock ecu will not understand a different afm only voltage signals from the stock one.

I'm new to sr's but from my readings I believe you need to upgrade to a z32 afm as the standard one maxes out at around 300.

This thread is useful.
http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?6501-Want-to-up-the-power-need-some-advise-please

Reaction score
To get 350hp+ you are going to need to do a little bit of work and a decent part list.

To start with you will be on the limit with a 2871r if you want over 350hp and you wont get that figure on 11 to 12psi of boost. You will need to run the 2871r at 20 to 21 psi.
A better option would be the 3071 which will get 350+hp easily and only on around 18psi of boost.
You will need stage 2 cams
740cc injectors go Tomei over Nismo
Intank fuel pump Walbro 400 or Aeromotive 340
FRR
EBC Blitz DSBC are very good.
A decent ECU, Haltec are all the rage atm
NA S14/S15 throttle body and a Greddy style plenum
Z32 and hard induction pipe
Aftermarket manifold

Then you will need to look at some decent cooling and upgrading your stopping power.

And once you sart to push it over 350+hp you will soon start to realise the limitations of the stock SR20det motor

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
One thing these guys haven't said if you haven't already got some is colder spark plugs , when upping the boost you will definitely need grade 8's at that sort of power

Reaction score
Country
add to that list a metal head gasket and some better head studs to keep it all locked down tight

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Whats the safest power to run the SR20DET at?, i have everything mentioned bar engine internals and running the HKS GT RS.

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
also just to add with the spec lists mentioned above you wont see 350 at the rears it'll be a the crank.

jaypan your turbo is almost the same as a 2871r, Horsham quote 340-360 for stage 3A.

the safest power to run it at would be standard, its more to do with the person driving and the ecu tune.

a walbro 255 pump is perfectly fine for that power and dont even bother with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator standard works fine.

i thought tomei, nismo and hks injectors were made by the same company.

edit... you will also need an uprated clutch. nismo coppermix are great. exedy are good too but ive read thay can cause problems with end play on the crank.

Last edited:
Reaction score
335hp to 350hp will be safe with stock internals if you don't run stupidly high boost. The stock bottom end is very strong it's the head that is the weak link.

That's why quite a few guys I know are going to the SR20VE head. A lot of work but it will easily cope with 400+HP

Reaction score
Country
You shouldn't need an uprated fpr to achieve 350 atw if you have the correct injectors :no:

Jay

Reaction score
at 350+bhp, its worth noting that the gearbox will die sooner or later. (someone is gonna pipe up and say "my gearbox is fine at those power levels", but it would be the exception rather than the rule). if you are going to use these kind of power levels in a hostile manner, ie drifting, dragging etc then either go for a transmission swap to z33 or rb, or line up a few s14 boxes! the standard s15 'box is pushing its limits at the 350-360lb/ft mark.

Reaction score
Country
Ofcourse if you really want to push the power you would benefit from uprated cams, I may even know of someone selling some 260 tomei procams with solid lifters ;)