What's new

Welding dual mass flywheel

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
It's something I'm considering trying with a spare s15 dual mass flywheel I bought.

Ive read abit about it being done on transits and toyota avensis's etc. but never On a Nissan or spec r, any body in aus etc ever heard of it being done successfully?

I wouldnt weld it myself, a local engineering firm who skim our flywheels through work would be doing it, and then milling it to balance it! but for the 50quid it would cost just wandering if it could be worth it?

Would also be using a sprung friction plate to compensate for the lack of DMF.

Reaction score
Can't say that welding it would be any worse than using a replacement linghtened single unit, I have the exedy flywheel with the super single clutch which is pretty harsh on the gearbox but as you're planning on using an s14 sprung friction plate that should negate most of the impact :)

Reaction score
I wouldn't be wasting money pulling the gearbox and stock flywheel to weld it. It's a very heavy unit, you would not put it back without attempting to machine it and for the effort I would prefer to put a solid lightened flywheel in for better response.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
I have a spare one, that's the only reason why I'd thought about it.

I agree a lightened solid flywheel would defo be better but they cost £300 plus easily! Of I could save my self £250 it would be worth it.

Yeah I think your right haz, it can't be any different than having an aftermarket solid flywheel.