What's new

I assume this is going to ruin some people's day!

Reaction score
Country
New MOT Rules;

As many of you will be in the same boat. Factory fitted HID headlights??? It states all HID headlights factory or otherwise require sprayers etc!! I don't know about you but there I no way I'm cutting holes in my bumper to fit water sprayers and wipers! So what do we do, there must be a way round it????

On 1 January 2012, new rules were added to the current MOT by the Department for Transport (DfT) to comply with European testing procedures.

It's a pretty substantial list, but there's one which could mean big bills for thousands of drivers. If your car has any illuminated warning lamps, whether it is the airbag, seatbelt, ESP, SRS, ABS or others, it will soon fail theMOT.

It's not all bad news. If your car's MOT runs out before the 31 March 2012 and you have a warning light that needs addressing, the testers will treat it as an 'advisory', i.e. advice on what needs to be done for the next MOT.

However, if your MOT is due after 1 April 2012, you better get your skates on and get the warning light (or other faults in the list below) fixed, otherwise you'll receive the dreaded fail sheet.

The AA has kindly published a summary of the new rules. If you think your car needs attention on any of the points below but still has a long MOT left, we recommend getting it seen to sooner rather than later.

The main changes from 2012

Electronic parking brake

Electronic parking brake controls are now included and must be present and not inappropriately repaired or modified - repair obviously likely to adversely affect the roadworthiness of the vehicle or modification that has seriously weakened the component.

(The 'inappropriately repaired or modified' check is to be applied to a wide range of systems and components throughout the vehicle.)

The car will fail if an Electronic Parking Brake warning lamp is illuminated to indicate a malfunction.

Electronic Stability Control

Checks of anti-lock brakes will be extended to include Electronic Stability Control if fitted. The tester will check for the presence and correct operation of the ESC malfunction warning light together with looking for obviously missing, excessively damaged or inappropriately repaired or modified components and electrical wiring, as well as an ESC switch missing, insecure or faulty.

Warning lights

As well as electronic parking brake and electronic stability control warning lights (where fitted) the MOT test will also include checks for the correct function of the following, where fitted;

Headlight main beam warning light
Electronic power steering warning light
Brake fluid level warning light
Tyre pressure monitoring system warning light
Airbag warning light
Seat belt pre-tensioner warning light
Steering & suspension

The new test includes a check on the presence and correct function of the steering lock where fitted as standard.

Missing, or split/damaged dust covers on steering and suspension ball-joints will result in failure if they will allow dirt to enter the joint.

Power steering fluid level must be above the minimum level indicated on the reservoir.

Lighting

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective.

Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.

Electrical wiring and battery

An insecure battery will be a reason for failure as will a battery that is leaking electrolyte.

Visible wiring that is insecure, inadequately supported or likely to cause a short will also result in a failure as will wires bared by damaged insulation.

Trailer/caravan electrical socket

There will be a basic security/damage check of 7-pin sockets,

13-pin sockets will be subject to a full electrical connectivity check and incorrectly connected or inoperative circuits will result in failure.

Tyres

Tyre pressure monitoring systems fitted to vehicles first registered after 1 January 2012 must be working correctly and not indicating a malfunction.

Supplementary restraints

The vehicle will fail the test if any airbag fitted as original equipment is obviously missing or defective.

A seatbelt pre-tensioner fitted as original equipment but missing or that has obviously deployed will be a reason for failure.

Seatbelt load limiters that are missing where fitted as standard or folding webbing type limiters that have obviously deployed are also reasons for failure.

The vehicle will also fail if an SRS malfunction light is missing, not working or indicating a fault.

Speedometer

The car will fail if a speedometer is not fitted, is incomplete, inoperative, has a dial glass broken/missing or cannot be illuminated.

Seats

It must be possible to secure the driver's seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism in two or three different positions. On electric seats the motors must move the seat fore and aft.

Doors

A rear door that cannot be opened from the outside using the relevant control is a new reason for failure.

Doors must be easy to open and close – hinges, catches and pillars will be inspected.

Towbars

Inappropriate repair or modification to the towbar assembly will be a reason for failure if judged likely to affect the roadworthiness of the vehicle/trailer.

Exhaust

A catalytic convertor fitted as original equipment but missing will be a reason for failure.

Fuel system

Damaged or chafed fuel pipes will result in failure.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Most of them make sense accept the HiD thing!!! Thank **** I ain't got HID! We need a group seat of standard lights to send round all contributing members if they have HiD's, so they can pass MOT.

Mike

Reaction score
Country
I don't have them which I was unhappy about until now. Will garages actually enforce this? It's a ridiculous rule if they are factory fit.

Reaction score
Country
they wont make you fit the washers to HIDs on our cars. it'll probably apply to new cars only. Think about the thousands of BMW & Mercedes owners whose cars are a few years old and dont have headlamp washers. not a chance they'll make you retro fit some washers. I've got HIDs and i certainly wont be fitting washers. Might acquire a cat though.. haha

Last edited:

CMR

Reaction score
Country
As above, there are loads of cars from the mid 90's (I think BMW were the first) that use HID lights with no levellers or cleaners.

It does state

Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.
The S15 lights are OEM, not aftermarket. I think it only applies if the car HAS a cleaning or levelling system and its faulty.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I think that's hilarious about the HIDs. All headlights are crap when they're dirty. Fitting washers and wipers to them isn't going to make people use them! A high proportion of new cars have HIDs here in Finland and you should see the state of them. That's of course assuming the owner has cleared the 20cm of last night's snow off to enable you to see them. If not, you'll just see a sort of dim glow at the front of the car. The police reminded drivers this week that if their cars have LED daytime running lamps, they produce virtually no heat and won't magically melt the ice and snow covering them... :p

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]They can't make you fit washers to OE HID's. And if you read it properly, it does not state you need them unless the cars new or they are aftermarket.

Did they make all pre 1993 cars fit cat's to comply with the more modern emission regulations? Did they make all pre 1983 vehicles fit seatbelts when they became mandatory? I'd suggest seatbelts are slightly more important from a safety point of view than headlight washers too![/FONT]

drifter

Reaction score
Country
I'd better get a Nissan badge for my OMP steering wheel, make it look factory fit :D

GTuned

Reaction score
Country
if anyone feels that badly about their HID lights.. I'll relieve them of their pain, and take them off their hands gladly :)

Side note: officially, no S15 inport into the UK should have made it past SVA with fixed HIDs. I remember that for the R33 GTRs, there were stories of the HID headlights being removed and swapped out for non-HID headlights by the dealer at the time!