What's new

Advice on buying an S15

Reaction score
Country
Hi,

I'm in the market to buy an S15, be grateful of any advice you could provide me, things like what I should look out for (rust on strut tops etc). I've got a budget around £14-15k which includes money for interior and exterior modifications if I get a standard one.

So far options are:

Silvia Spec R - 52k on the clock, light mods, brakes, suspension, exhaust. - £8,600
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3650570.htm
Is this priced right for pretty standard car?

Silvia Spec R - 56k - nice mods + nice colour - £11,500
http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?9958-Pearlescent-White-S15-Spec-R-1999-(London)

Kazama widebody S15 - heavily modified priced at £16k
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3632384.htm

I would have snapped up Craig's S15 if it hadn't already been sold! Really gutted about that.

Cheers
Shah

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The cars you've linked to are all very different.. It seems like you're rushing into buying one which is not he way to do it. How do you intend to use it? Daily? Drifting?

The one in the first link is pretty much standard, price seems a bit high, depending on condition. It's advertised as Aero but only has the skirts. No front bumper, rear spats or rear spoiler and these are the expensive bits.

Second is overpriced for the mods it has IMO (same price as mine but spec is way off).

Can't really comment on the third. If its what you want and you have that sort of money to spend, then it would be worth a look I guess.

You won't find another like mine so don't wait for one! :)

Reaction score
Country
Craig, I'm still annoyed at you for your car not being white. ;)

Don't rush into buying one at all. I've been waiting for many months!

Good things come to those who wait.

Jay

Reaction score
with that budget, i would say find a standard one with low miles and servive history (£7-8k) and build the car you realy want. odds are that if you buy an already modified one, then over time you will end up replacing most of the previous owners mods anyway....

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
^^ as above that's what I'd do if I had your budget! You get to pick all the parts and do it right the first time! A much more fun and satisfying way of getting one! :)

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the responses. It'll be used as a daily car, and maybe the occasional DWYB day. I quite like the Blister kit or the Vertex Edge, however leaning more towards the Blister Kit, with Dmax roof spolier and boot spolier. Wheels I've got a set of Work Equips, Volks GT7's, Volks GT-C's, Enkei's so I'll see what set look best.

From the three above the standard one seems like a good option, I know SVA have a few S15's for sale, but I've read the postings on here, so not going to risk getting one with moody mileage.

I'm not really known for being the patient type, and I do agree, if I wait around Craig might change his mind and sell me his ;) but otherwise I'm looking daily for a nice S15, Driftworks, Ebay, Donedeal & Here.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
If your that impatient maybe you'd be better buying one already modded? It doesn't just cost a lot to modify cars, it takes a lot of time too, unless you pay someone else to do it. In which case, you may aswell buy one already done..

Not being funny but I wouldn't sell mine to someone who wants a daily and take part in DWYB. It would be a waste.

Craig, I'm still annoyed at you for your car not being white. ;)
Silver is far superior to white :)

Reaction score
Country
Craig, I wouldn't dream of taking yours to a DWYB day, its far too mint for that! I've pretty much discounted it as you said it was sold. I'd lock yours up in a centrally heated garage.

Its a mixture of impatience and excitement in terms of owning one, not modifying. I have the patience there, and do it properly. I've spent over £60k on the Skyline alone (see this) . Currently it has no engine (with engine builders) and my Altezza, thats not finished. I've been building the Altezza for a couple of years, so I have the patience when it comes to mods, and the GTR thats 5 years worth of development. When the Cayenne is gone, I'll be driving my IS300 around as a daily, whilst looking for a nice S15.

I guess I'm excited about owning one, but I'm not going to buy a Lemon!

What do you think of this?
http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/2980693?cid=2980693&

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
easily done mate!

What do you guys think of the S15 on DoneDeal as a base car to start...?
http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/2980693?cid=2980693&

I looked on a map and it's 500 miles from me! bit of an epic journey.
I travelled to northern Ireland for my s15.. expect to travel if you want the right one.

The one in the link looks nice but with it not being a std colour I would want to take a closer look at the finish, also insurance companies have a fit if you mention roll cage..

Jay

Reaction score
+1 on the roll cage..... i would want to know why the previous owner felt the need to fit one. and there are few enough insurance companys willing to insure import cars, without adding the complication of the cage.

Reaction score
Country
i was in the same position except I realized its always best you start with a stock one. Why? because you get to do the mods you want and its that excitement feeling that you picked it and the feeling to get it installed is a different feeling to as one that's already been installed it gets boring over time.