What's new

fitting braided turbo lines

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I am going to fit braided lines on my turbo when I change my mani,.
Quick question,obviously the hoses have oil and water running through them,just wanted to make sure that I don't need to drain the whole system first? How does it work does It pump oil/water flows through it when the engine is running,so will only be a small amount left in the pipes? Thought I better check before I did it/better safe than sorry and all that :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
you will need to drain the coolent out before fitting the water lines, but the oil can just be left in the engine as it is all sitting in the sump anyway and wont come out oil return once you remove the drain pipe. The water & oil just gets pumped around the engine by the engines water and oil pumps this includes going through the feeds and return pipes, changing the lines from factory hard lines to braided ones will wont cause you any problems, in fact most braided water lines have a larger flow rate then factory hardlines and will keep you turbos temp more stable when giving it a good thrashing, just ensure you hook up the right hoses to the right inlet & outlets, and dont use cheap crappy lines. There will be sweet bugger all oil left in the turbo once you take it off, providing the engine is cold, you might get a few spoon fulls out once its off. A good idea is to put clean engine oil into the char of the turbo before connecting it back up as this ensures that on its first spin up it will have oil in there to spin on, the water will get in there again once you top up your coolent, just remember to undo the air release to ensure all the air is out.

Reaction score
Very good answer Spoonman,couldn't have said it better myself. :D The only thing that I can add is use good quality lines and fittings.

I used HPI lines which where top quality.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Cheers guys,I have got dif lines from ichigo on here, they look really good quality tbh
That's ok then can kill 2 birds with one stone and fit my rad hoses while I am at it!
Thanks again