Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Apologies for the latest spell of downtime :(

I again am having my annual fallout with our web host, this time over apparent high utilisation of our shared web server. Instead of informing me of this and allowing me a period to do something about it, they suspended the entire account, thus disabling three web sites and this forum. I responded to their notification within 15 minutes and they responded to my response after 12 hours....and then only partially. :rant:

Personally, I feel that they over-burden their servers with too many accounts, but what can you do...?

Anyway, I have relocated the forum to a temporary location so that I can monitor it without restriction. This will mean that there will be downtime again at some point in the future when I move it back.

I write this at 11.04 GMT+3, so you can see how long it takes for the web host to re-enable site access....

If you are using Tapatalk, you will need to add the new S15 Owners Club listing to get access.

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Apologies for the latest spell of downtime :(

I again am having my annual fallout with our web host, this time over apparent high utilisation of our shared web server. Instead of informing me of this and allowing me a period to do something about it, they suspended the entire account, thus disabling three web sites and this forum. I responded to their notification within 15 minutes and they responded to my response after 12 hours....and then only partially. :rant:

Personally, I feel that they over-burden their servers with too many accounts, but what can you do...?

Anyway, I have relocated the forum to a temporary location so that I can monitor it without restriction. This will mean that there will be downtime again at some point in the future when I move it back.

I write this at 11.04 GMT+3, so you can see how long it takes for the web host to re-enable site access....

If you are using Tapatalk, you will need to add the new S15 Owners Club listing to get access.
Hi Nicely
I can host the website for you with a large bandwidth & space allowance, I have a webhosting company and have been hosting professionally for many years (to private clients).

My servers co-location is based in Maidenhead (UK, England). Its a BGP network w/ 2x 10Gibabit networks and 2 AS29550 transit networks.

All servers run cPanel 11 and are CentOS based.

PM me if you need some space, I can set you up as a reseller if you need to have more than one domain/site.

You can use hostlive.co.uk / mfh.com to do latency/tracert checks if you like

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Thanks for the offer :)

Just to clarify, there is no issue with space and bandwidth with our hosting company (UK2.net). The problem is with high utilisation whilst accessing the database (from what I can tell). At the moment I need to ascertain if it's a problem with the vBulletin software or the hosting server. Currently I have moved the forum to a safe location where I can monitor it without risking 100% CPU on the usual hosting server. The server otherwise runs three Joomla sites and I can't see them being an issue.

I may take-up the offer of the hosting depending on my findings. :)

Reaction score
Country
Top man Nicely sorting it out so fast and thanks for the notification :thumbs: sorry to here about all the problems your having hope its not getting to stressful for you, you guys are amazing with all the work you do for this site just wish i could help in some way and no worrys bout the down time what's got to be done has got to be done :)

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Thanks for the offer :)

Just to clarify, there is no issue with space and bandwidth with our hosting company (UK2.net). The problem is with high utilisation whilst accessing the database (from what I can tell). At the moment I need to ascertain if it's a problem with the vBulletin software or the hosting server. Currently I have moved the forum to a safe location where I can monitor it without risking 100% CPU on the usual hosting server. The server otherwise runs three Joomla sites and I can't see them being an issue.

I may take-up the offer of the hosting depending on my findings. :)
Sure, I'll be happy to help either way

Its very strange to have high load when using simple MySQL databases, if you have log files enabled; purge them - Or take a full backup, delete the database then restore the backup and reassign permissions.

However having said that I don't think the problem is database related, probably their shared servers have high disk I/O usage causing deadlocks which spike the CPU usage, this is typical on an overloaded server with a poor RAID configuration.

Anyway the offer still stands and if you need some help I can do that too :)

Joeh

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I've just been going through the resource logs in the time running-up to the account suspension yesterday and it shows a steady increase in memory usage over the course of about 3-4 hours. It averaged around 75-130M normally (mMEM), then increased to 218M, then 369M (aMEM averaged 2-10M, then 25M, then 40M). They fell right off when the suspended the account. Interestingly, they increased slightly when there was no access to the server... There's certainly some weird arse info showing for a server with no access...

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
I've just been going through the resource logs in the time running-up to the account suspension yesterday and it shows a steady increase in memory usage over the course of about 3-4 hours. It averaged around 75-130M normally (mMEM), then increased to 218M, then 369M (aMEM averaged 2-10M, then 25M, then 40M). They fell right off when the suspended the account. Interestingly, they increased slightly when there was no access to the server... There's certainly some weird arse info showing for a server with no access...
Did you have any CRON jobs running/scheduled for that time (in crontab or in vBulletin ACP)? Did you have access to SSH? There could have been something compromised on your account, do you have Apache logs? Have a look if there are any requests which are in strange sub directories..

Did the memory usage have a breakdown of what it was for?

Do a recursive file listing to show the newest files created and see if there are any strange scripts which you haven't added.. I've seen this happen many times before that peoples hosting accounts get compromised (through loopholes in forum software/cms packages when not updated) and these 'hackers' use the compromised accounts resources for their own use, Torrent/Botnet/DDoS/IRCd... etc

If you need to email me some logs etc, you can send them to developer@live.co.uk

Joeh