What's new

Stereo thoughts...

R

RyanNK

Hey guys, anyone know if the Stock stereo speakers are the same in all S15s? And if so when installing a stereo would you upgrade the standard speakers or would you just connect them to an amp?

I currently have a 5 channel Alpine amp in my possesion which I took out of my old car before I sold it. I was thinking about buying some new components for the front, and one 10" or 12" sub.

Obviously im not going for the worlds loudest stereo I just want a crisp clean note as I miss the duff duff from my old car which was running 2 x 12" subs and was quite loud....

Here is a parts list I was thinking of

- Pioneer DVD player with 6.5" LCD screen
- Pioneer component speakers in the front (TSC160R - currently for sale on ns.com) - Anyone know if they will fit in the S15? They are 16cm 2ways speakers!
- Keep the standard rear speakers but amp them instead of running them of the head unit - Unless I should upgrade them :confused:
- Rockford 12" 200watt RMS sub
- Alpine 5 channel Amp

What are your thoughts?

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Ive just got standard speaks in mine they are panasonic and have just brought a mono amp to power my old sub as i sold my old 5channel amp with my car b4...
and the sound seems fine to me iam very picky but its good enough for me....

A

Ansch

Not sure if they're all the same type of speakers but my ADM s15 has sanyo speakers on the front and the backs are clarions. It sounded pretty ordinary as it is but it actually sounded not too bad since I hooked up my old amp and 12" sub box from the rear speaker lines off the standard 6 stack unit. (using a hi-level to rca converter) The factory speakers are useless with bass but midrange is not to bad with the std head unit. Mind you if you're going to drive the speakers with an amp then may as well get some rear speakers as well. (or plug them in and see how much the stockies will take)

How are you going to mount the tweeters? If you look behind the door trim near the plastic mould where the door lever is, there is a spot where you can flush mount the tweeters.

Cheers
a

R

RyanNK

Yeah my rears are Clarions. Thats why I was thinking they could stay and just hook them up to the amp but if they cant handle it I would upgrade them also. Havent really thought about the installation yet. I wouldnt mind getting a custom install so that the amp and sub (and possibly a capacitor) are mounted so they look neat and tidy while also leaving the boot with some practicality.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Duno what speaker i have in mine, but i would of thought you would be better amping the front speakers and leaving the rears :nod:

I used to have a 12" in my old car, but i dont want all that weight in my S15 and to be honest with the exhaust and a 12 making noise i'll go def in no time!!

The standard speakers in my car are poor, no low bass tones, i'm not looking for bone crushing bass but i do like it, so i was thinking of a 6" sub, and mounting it on the rear shelf and some components in the front (Ansch - good shout bout mounting spot) both amped and leave the rears as is.

M

Mr Smith

I have the Panasonic in mine and they are 150W I think. The S15 has the factory option of upgraded sound and the Panasonic was the upgrade.

K

kenji

I say leave the stock speakers and install tweeters, with the other stuff ur getting for the stereo system :)

A

Ansch

^^^ I thought about that. But it seems that most "named" manufacturers don't seperate that woofer and tweeters anymore. (pioneer definitely doesn't)

F

FLY 200

Power up

If u are going to start putting any sort of real power through your standard speakers they probably wont last for too long, but as with anything if u dont thrash the hell out of them they are gonna last a bit longer. I would personally upgrade as much as you can afford to, if you are chasing good clarity then u must remember the standard gear is exactly that - standard and you will never get aftermarket clarity out of them. Having said that it really depends how fussy you are i run DLS front and rear and the difference over standard is like chalk and cheese. the old saying u gets what u pay for applies here good luck :cool:

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Ive got the panasonic speaker ive just powered my sub with a mono amp and just runing the standard speakers and its sounds good enough for me and iam very picky about my music quality :D

R

RyanNK

Thanks for your input guys. The amp only puts out 45watts RMS per channel which I think the standard speakers could handle. Then the fith channel puts out 180watts RMS so im getting a 12" 200watt RMS sub.

Anyone got custom installations in their cars? Wouldnt mind seeing some pics. I want to get a custom install thats plain and simple.

Something like this.

Post piccies if you have any :D :D

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The standard setup is totally adequate for me. I feel that if you need to double the size of the speakers, fill the boot with a sub and amp, wire in a DVD player and Xbox, etc, etc - then you are spending FAR too much time in your car and need to get out a bit more.... :p

However, I am chief B.O.G. round here and just wouldn't understand... :D

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
Nicely said:
Board Old Git. :D
thanks for the clarification old man :) :) I think I remember when the internet was all just green fields, none of this fancy modern website development :)

btw.. quick question for you - did your knocklink come with a sensor or was it an optional extra that I made the mistake of not purchasing?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
lol! I remember when these fangled new computer things use cassettes to load up their 64K programs... :p

If you paid for the ?149 kit, it should come with the sensor.

Mine isn't working. Got to double check the power by hooking straight up to the battery, but looks like they will be replacing it. I treated the sensor as though it was in cotton wool too, so I definitely didn't bugger it.

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
Nicely said:
lol! I remember when these fangled new computer things use cassettes to load up their 64K programs... :p
64k... Luxury!! You must have been one of the rich kids :p Did bring back some funny memories of trying to get the damn tape recorder to load properly...

I still remember thinking my mate was insane for wanting to have the 16k memopak for his zx81 - in fact I still do - having to type 16k's worth of code on that keyboard would have been enough to drive anyone over the edge :)

Nicely said:
If you paid for the ?149 kit, it should come with the sensor.

Mine isn't working. Got to double check the power by hooking straight up to the battery, but looks like they will be replacing it. I treated the sensor as though it was in cotton wool too, so I definitely didn't bugger it.
Just heard back from Thor - they pointed out I ordered the wrong thing (not the sensor) but he's going to give me the bosch part number and I should be able to source it locally.