What's new

Kill switch idea ECU 12V Ignition wire

Reaction score
Country
I was wondering about a good place of a security kill switch and to save putting it in a location where you lose all power and things like CDplayer settings and clock i was wondering if putting in onto the 12V power supply from the ignition to the ECU so the ECU simply does not turn on.

Would anyone know it that is a good idea? Could it damage the ECU if other things in the car get power from the ignition but the ECU does not?

drifter

Reaction score
Country
When I had the battery in the boot of my S14 I put an isolator in the main supply cable, but with a small bypass wire with a 15amp fuse. When you disconnect the isolator it still has a small power source to run the alarm etc, but if you try and start the car the fuse pops :)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I helped LuPix install one on his old S15. We used it to cut cut power to just the ignition system IIRC.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
why not hardwire the fuel pump and hide a switch to the controlling relay? it would take someone a while to find it if you hide it well enough, at least long enough for you to hear them cranking it over trying to steal the thing....

Reaction score
Country
thanks for the ideas, think i might just leave the ECU and use a mixture of your ideas

M

martinbattye

I was wondering about a good place of a security kill switch and to save putting it in a location where you lose all power and things like CDplayer settings and clock i was wondering if putting in onto the 12V power supply from the ignition to the ECU so the ECU simply does not turn on.

Would anyone know it that is a good idea? Could it damage the ECU if other things in the car get power from the ignition but the ECU does not?

if you want to immobilise the car.. fit a kill switch in line with pin 36 of the ECU

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I'd suggest a kill for the ignition is better than a kill for the fuel pump... if the switch or wire you cut to fit the fuel pump kill goes faulty at some point in future whilst driving then no fuel = danger!!

Better there's no ignition than no fuel (IMO) :)

M

martinbattye

hence the reason.. if you cut the ign feed to pin 36.. you have an ecu that is totally shut down.. = definitely no engine running..

its very simple mod and saves a lot of heavy cabling or other rubbish

M

martinbattye

I'd suggest a kill for the ignition is better than a kill for the fuel pump... if the switch or wire you cut to fit the fuel pump kill goes faulty at some point in future whilst driving then no fuel = danger!!

tbh youd find that if the fuel pump actually turned off whilst under power the car wouldt det etc. the rail pressure would drop so fast it would just misfire... but i get where your coming from. its much safer to just turn the ecu off.

Reaction score

Iv'e had mine fitted for 6 years with no issues. If it done properly and insulated then it will last the life of the car. No different to fitting a EBC,turbo timer gages,alarm,stereo etc.