What's new

In-built Japanese Navigation System disconnection?

B

been_and_gone

So I recently got an s15 1999 however it has an annoying navigation system that pops up in the dash everytime you turn the car on. The bottons below the stereo don't work and you can't manually push the screen down. Sometimes the screen will turn on and have some japanese writing on it, and/or it will turn off and remain blank. Does anyone have any idea how to disconnect the wiring to make the monitor stay down within the dash or does anyone have one of these navigation systems?

Cheers

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Lucky bugger - if you can, remove the centre console with the stereo etc and you should be able to access any connections from there as that's where the unit will locate when it folds away - I haven't done this
Myself but it's only reasonable to assume knowing the car. I'd love to have this, I'd figure out the motorised trigger wiring to keep the motor working with the monitor removed and fit an appropriate tablet pc displaying consult software and hks camp2.... Every possible thing you'd want to keep an eye on without a gauge in sight. Could also be connected to a wideband sensor to log afr's and assist a mapper with accurate realtime data. Sorry, I'm rambling lol

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I was thinking virtually the same thing but didn't know of the HKS Camp2.. Nice one Dean, there goes next months disposable income! :p

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
If you were in Oz, I would have swapped you dashes! To have a factory Nav system that actually works is very rare indeed. Unfortunately no one really has experience with it. I would love to see it working and have a close look at it.

As far as disconnecting it, If you take your stereo out you may be able to see some wiring for the motor that opens the screen. Another option is that you may be able to disconnect the Nav control unit if you can find it or lastly, you could look in the fuse box there may be a seperate fuse for it.

B

been_and_gone

Alright awesome, thanks for all the info. Possible dumb question; but how do i go about removing the center console? Is this easily done?
Thanks

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
yes, it is not too hard. If you download the manual from the useful links and have a look in the body and trim section page BT-23. It gives an exploded view of the dash and how it comes apart.

You need to remove the gear shift surround (4) undo the 2 screws on the radio surround (5) and then it just clips off. There are 2 metal clips at the top of the radio surround. I am sure you will work it out.

B

been_and_gone

yes, it is not too hard. If you download the manual from the useful links and have a look in the body and trim section page BT-23. It gives an exploded view of the dash and how it comes apart.

You need to remove the gear shift surround (4) undo the 2 screws on the radio surround (5) and then it just clips off. There are 2 metal clips at the top of the radio surround. I am sure you will work it out.
Awesome, Thankyou :)

Reaction score
Country
i got the sat nav in my s15 aswell but i have the opposite problem it doesnt work or anything lol