What's new

electrical problem :(

Reaction score
Country
well i brought the car wednesday and everything was fine until yesterday. i was parked up and i went to start my car and pull off but it wouldnt tick over. The dash lights came on fine but the turbo wouldnt turn on. i then tried to immobilse the car with the remote but it wouldnt lock or unlock? after turning the ignition on and off several times the turbo timer finely turned on so i could start the car.

i was then driving home but when i put the indicator on, the alarm kept going off and all the hazard lights started going off.

i finely got home tried to lock the car and nothing happened so had to do it manually and the alarm wont set.

any ideas?

im baffled :(

Reaction score
Country
When you say the alarm wouldn't lock or unlock, was it locked and immobilised at that stage? and then when you jiggled the ignition around it started still immobilised? or did i read that wrong.

Reaction score
Country
well its really weird. the car was unlocked, i went to start and nothing. i thought it might of immobilised itself, so i tried to unlock it with the remote but nothing happened, no hazard light flash and no noise from the locks. when i turn the ignition on all the lights and everything turn on except from the turbo timer. after abit of fiddling it then turns on and i can start the car. butttttt as soon as i touch the indicators the alarm starts going off and all the hazard lights start to flash. i can only lock the car by the key and i cant set the alarm. :(

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
have you got the key to disable the alarm? I woud guess it is the alarm playing up. Where did you buy the car from? Can you contact the previous owner to find any more info or if they have had this problem before?

Reaction score
Country
yeh it got the key but that doesnt disable it either, i had to drive home with it going off yesterday haha. its james/cads old car

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
strange that the alarm key doesn't disable it, sounds more and more like that the alarm is playing up. I would try to contact James and see if he has any ideas. It could be something simple that he has encountered before.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ocassionally. Now I know the car in question, I would check the wiring under the inner guard. I believe there has been issues there before as Dean said.

Reaction score
Country
yeh ill have to have a look tonight but i dont really know what im looking for tbh. im guessing its split wires and so on?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
look for any damage or anything out of the ordinary.

Reaction score
Country
1st try the other key fob, second check the battery in the fob is all good.

then

just to eliminate some simple possibility's. do you have a extra alarm key fob? was it in your trousers or jacket when driving the car and could you have bumped it... i have done this, was in my back pocket.
also some alarm types once set off need the power supply to be disconnected then reconnected to be reset, like my navara it does 3 beeps lock and unlock, but 2 beeps once the alarm has been reset. After its been set off again it goes back to 3, the reset sometimes sorts out the motion sensor as this can play up with some alarms once they get set off and dont get reset, more of a cheap alarm sort of problem then a good quality one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
yeh i have tried to key but it doesnt seem to do anything but there battery is okay. its a cobra alarm and for some reason both of the fobs i have wont turn it on or off/lock or unlock the doors. ive also tried resetting the fobs but still nothing. i tried disconnecting the battery yesterday but that still didnt work :(

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Battery is relatively new - only replace it week leading up the Nurburgring last year and it's higher CCA than normal so that shouldn't be an issue. It's a rock solid unit I got from CES local, reliable motor factors :)

Again I know a common thing to look for is the wiring loom under driver's front arch that can be worn away... but that's usually caused by silly Hellaflush peeps like JameS15 who run their cars super low lol :p This S15 has not been setup like so... I've never seen the wiring loom rub or wear away.

As said the driver's footwell fusebox was replaced and new bit of loom wired into original loom so this should all check out ok.

I've had a replay replaced once because the remote locking failed and car was making buzzing noises but nothing really like the symptoms you describe?! :wack:

Hopefully auto electricians will diagnose better than we can :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
usually caused by silly Hellaflush peeps like JameS15 who run their cars super low lol :p This S15 has not been setup like so... I've never seen the wiring loom rub or wear away.
Cheeky bastid!! ;) your just not hardcore enough Lu!! haha

Reaction score
Country
sounds like the alarm mate. i had to get mine replaced last year because it wasnt unlocking/locking, giving me all sorts of flashing lights and clicking haha. the main ecu for the alarm was fried. kiss goodbye to a few hundred notes :(

take it to your local autoelectrics place and ask them to test the alarm. should only charge you an hours labor and then say what they reckon it is :)