What's new

Headlight Indicator Bulb

wutang200

Reaction score
Has anyone done this before?? I've done a search and not found anything about how to do this. Is there a how to guide :confused:

It's impossible to get to the bulb from under the bonnet without taking all the arches off and taking the headlights off the car.

Tried looking from underneath and still there's no way in hell that I'd be able to reach even after taking off the under tray!!!

What a crap design compared to the S14 headlights where you can remove them without any hassle.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
you can change them with no problem. There is a cover at the back of the light that needs to be turned like a bayonet fitting. It will be quite tight. This is to keep the moisture out.

Have a look at the manual page EL-32. It gives an exploded view of the headlight assembly and the steps required to change the lamp.

EDIT: I have pasted it here for you.

headlight.jpg

The headlamp is a semi-sealed beam type which uses a replaceable halogen bulb. The bulb can be replaced from the engine compartment side without removing the headlamp body.
Grasp only the plastic base when handling the bulb. Never touch the glass envelope.
RH HEADLAMP

Headlamp Bulb (Low beam)
1. Disconnect the battery cable.
2. Pull off the rubber cap.
3. Push and turn the bulb retaining pin.
4. Remove the headlamp bulb carefully. Do not shake or rotate bulb when removing it.
5. Install in reverse order of removal.
Headlamp Bulb (High beam)
1. Disconnect the harness connector from rear end of the bulb.
2. Turn bulb cover counterclockwise, then remove it.
3. Remove the headlamp bulb carefully. Do not shake or rotate the bulb when removing it.
4. Install in reverse order of removal.
Turn Signal Lamp Bulb
1. Remove front fender protector.
2. Turn bulb cover counterclockwise, then remove it.
3. Remove the turn signal lamp bulb carefully. Do not shake or rotate the bulb when removing it.
4. Install in reverse order of removal.

wutang200

Reaction score
I gave up with it and took it to my local mechanic who, after lots of struggling, managed to get to it from underneath the car just about.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
That's strange, I have never had a problem changing the bulbs, In fact I changed a bulb about 2 weeks ago. The cover is always a bit tough, but I didn't think it was that much of a problem.

Reaction score
Country
I've left the bolts out of the sides on my headlights so that I can easily remove them to change the bulbs. Now it's just the bolts on the slam panel and the inner brackets holding them in, like on S13's/14's.