What's new

changing factory HID ballast

Reaction score
Country
Heya,

Anyone changed the factory HID ballasts before?

One of my lights started flickering and then stopped working. Pretty common sign of ballast/bulb failure in all HIDs.

Was looking at doing the switcheroo (swap bulbs left to right) to see if it is the bulb or the ballast.

Would a factory ballast be hard to source if I needed one?

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'm not sure about in Australia but they are hard to find here. The bulbs are available though from many internet sites. The specs are in the 'Useful Links', which is at the top of every page :)

Reaction score
Country
I'm not sure about in Australia but they are hard to find here. The bulbs are available though from many internet sites. The specs are in the 'Useful Links', which is at the top of every page :)
Yeah the bulb shouldn't be an issue, its the ballast I am worrying about.

S

s15gt

iv got a set of working oem hid ballast if u need em. But its going to be quite the pain as id say you would have to split the headlamp assemblies to get the black d2s plug through.

Regards,
Rob

Reaction score
Country
I'm not sure, though you would think some of Philips' products would be interchangeable.

One of my globes was fried so I just gotta change that.

Though, went to three stores yesterday, none of them had HIDs at all. One store offered to order it in but said they were $150 :S Wasn't expecting that.

Edit: http://www.philipshidkits.com/products/OEM-Genuine-Osram-D2S-HID-Bulbs.html

Never knew they were this expensive.

Found some on yahoo auctions JP but not sure if they are legit.

http://www.importmonster.com.au/vie...6303077563.jpg&title=HID D2R D2S D2C 6000K35W

Last edited:
S

s15gt

u need a d2s globe raybrig made a set 5000k for around $150 i bought a set of these about 2 years ago