What's new

Fog Lights Help

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just bought some fog lights for my s15. Now these are ADM fog lights that i bought off some other guy and they have no blubs in them atm and all the wires have been cut.

Taking apart the fog light, i saw two wires inside. Now can someone please explain to me why there are two wires, i thought that it should only have 1 wire, which is the one which connects to the bulb inside the fog light itself. Also what size are the bulbs inside the fog light supposed to be?

Because the wires have been cut, im not sure which terminal on the outside is positive and negative soo if someone could tell me that would be great as well.

Pics would be awesome but any help is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks guys.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
The factory fogs were never fitted to an ADM car. If they are factory ones, then are JDM.

One wire will be the power feed and the other will be an earth. The earth will go to the ground point around the headlight and the power wire will go to the fuse box. If you have an ADM car, the wiring will not be there. If you have a JDM car the wiring should be tucked up in behind the bar somewhere and it's as easy as plugging it in. Can't remember the colours for the wires, but should be black (or have a black trace) and go to the outside of the bulb holder. The wire that goes to the inside of the bulb holder is obviously positive.

The bulbs are H3 (55W)

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
no worries, let me know if you need more info.

Reaction score
Atcually lol....OK so there are two wires on the back of the fog light, obviously these are positive and negative right. Because my car is ADM, what my plan is to jst connect the fog lights straight to my parkers soo they jst run off that switch.....So im guessing the two wires on the back are jst positive and negative, now my problem is inside the fog light itself. When I open the fog light up, there are two wires, there is a black one and there is the other wire where i place the H3 blub...correct me if I am wrong on this. Now currently the lights are not connected and i was just connecting them to a 9V battery jst to check if it works. When i connect the battery, nothing lights up. You said that I have to connect the earth wire to the ground point inside the fog light, where abouts is this? I either think that ive connected something wrong or that a 9V power source is not enough to power the bulb.

E

empty_inside

Quick question - is the very bottom right light on the dashboard meant to be a front fog indicator? My factory fog lights work fine, but I get no light on the dash for them.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
@ s15kid: Yes the 2 wires on the back of the fog are +ve and -ve. 9v may power the lamp, but you would be better to run it off 12V. Are you sure the lamp in the fog is good? The +ve goes to the H3 bulb. I am not 100% sure where the -ve wire goes on the light itself, I would have to have a look at mine. Unfortunately I only have a pic of the back of the light with the cover on it. Someone may have a picture of the inside of them, that would help us out.

EDIT: Better yet, can you take a pic of yours and post them up.

@ empty_inside: There is a front fog indicator, but I am not sure which light it is.

Reaction score

The white wire is my H3 bulb and im not sure what the black connector is....

Last edited:

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
sorry mate, been really busy and haven't been on here. The last 4 photos aren't working, can you re upload them.

EDIT: If it wasn't raining outside, I would go and take my front bar off now to have a look.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
from memory, there should be a holder that the bulb goes into. On that there should be a spot for the black wire to connect to. It should be like a male spade connector. It's the same as way the headlights sit in the holder with a spring clip holding it in.

If that doesn't help, I will try to get out and take a pic of mine when it stops raining.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
ok, I will do my best to get some pics for you this weekend.

L

legend

with the foglights you could get a JDM indicator stalk that has the foglight switch on it an just run some wiring to power the foglights thatswhat i will be doing

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
That is what you have to do if you have an ADM. The only problem with putting in the JDM indicator stalk is if the wiring is in the steering column. I would take a guess and say that it isn't. Don't forget you will also need a relay and fuse too.

Reaction score
Thanks heaps mate :) Yea i was thinking about getting a JDM stalk however its to much effort haha

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
The fact that there is no other wiring in the car for them, I doubt it would be in the column. Therefore you would have to put the column wiring in there too which would be a PITA. The easy way to confirm this would be to have a JDM wiring diagram, but up until this time, I have not been able to get hold of it.

The weather doens't look good for the next week unfortunately and I can only do this in the backyard as my garage is too small to pull the car apart. I'll do my best.