What's new

Battery relocation

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Has anybody on here relocated their battery to the boot? I'm looking to so this fairly soon as I'm fed up of the battery dieing after a couple of days if I forget to turn the Infill head unit off properly, and it just doesn't look right with the FMIC pipe and washer bottle neck being wedged up against it. Plus, I can then totally remove the battery tray and get it looking nicer.

If anyone has done this, could you please post up pictures and information about the kit you used please. I'm just trying to decide on the best way to go about it. if theres a decent kit available then I will go for that. If not, then I'll get a tray made in ally and mounted in the spare wheel well.

Thanks!

:cool:

Reaction score
Country
A friend of mine did it on his high spec s14a. he just ran a cable from the positive terminal to the battery in the boot, and just grounded the negative to the chassis.
Just make sure to use a big cable, at least 10-12mm

Will do it very soon on mine too

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The wiring part of it is dead simple, I don't have a worry with that. I just want to see the different ways and places people have mounted the battery :)

S

S15 SILVIA

I see demon tweeks sell a few battery boxes and alloy mounts mate. May be worth a gander!
Do some nice carbon ones too, but they are a fair price.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Thanks guys :) I've been having a look on ebay too and you can get trays for the Halfords size batterys for £25, which is probably a lot cheaper than the cost of having one made. I'm thinking of attaching it to the spare wheel mounting point too, so it will be easily removable. I haven't got a spare wheel anyway as it won't fit over the brakes, so the whole well can be used.

S

S15 SILVIA

If you put the battery in the well. Will it protrude up further than the floor level? If so, I'd be tempted to mount it in a nice battery box behind the wheel well (corner by the back lights). Or a tidy alloy cage.
You could otherwise make a nice mount and box it in, and trim it in carpet to blend it in with the rest of the boot trim/carpet.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I haven't measured the depth of the well yet because I haven't got my car here. But I don't want it to be visible in the boot if I can avoid it so would have to trim it like you say, if it doesn't fit.

If anyones got a spare minute, could you please measure the depth of the spare wheel well! :D

Reaction score
I've had to do the battery relocate to the boot (actually jez at horsham did it!!) and the battery tray is on the drivers side right against the corner by the rear light. There are 3 existing bolt holes in the chassis to secure the tray and a hole to put your +ve wire through which is then cable tied to the fuel pipes all the way to the front. This way you don't have to drill any holes and it doesn't get in the way of your boot space.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the posts guys.

I like your fabrication Andeep, very nice. I have eye'd up an ally tray on ebay which comes with a retaining strap too as I don't have the equipment to make anything like that myself. Looking very good though, I like the build.

Haz - could you post a couple of pics up please. I'd just like to see the battery tray/box if you can :)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I have a run of 2ga going through my door sill to my boot. it was a bit of a PITA, but I much prefer it to be in the sill than outside the car. I didn't have to cut any holes either.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The tray I'm looking to get is more exposed than your battery box. Still haven't decided where would be good to mount it yet thogh..

Here are some pics. It's £25 from ebay but obviously doesn't include the cables or terminals. They do a few different sizes but the medium one supports a battery that is over twice the physical size of the one I have now and twice the starting amps too.

Reaction score
Country
I know you still have youre battery in the bay still but did you bother getting this Craig? Did you have any idea where to mount it? :)

M

matt_S15

I've had to do the battery relocate to the boot (actually jez at horsham did it!!) and the battery tray is on the drivers side right against the corner by the rear light. There are 3 existing bolt holes in the chassis to secure the tray and a hole to put your +ve wire through which is then cable tied to the fuel pipes all the way to the front. This way you don't have to drill any holes and it doesn't get in the way of your boot space.
would love to see a pic of this as im going to have to do it to fit my new intercooler in...