Bulb specs and types

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I have never had any front sidelight LEDs last more than a few months, regardless of claims to withstand the heat from main beams...

You ideally need a more advance setup in the headlights :nod: Stay posted... ;)

J

JDM JUNKIE

Plug and play LED will always have problems because they don't have a current-limiting resistor. The biggest problems with LEDs is they get too much power or too much heat. I've been doing some research into LED lighting here is some good info from
http://led.linear1.org/category/led-basics/
http://patmullins.com/ledlightmyths.html :

Long Lasting, Long Life

LEDs have a reputation for long life, but they are also easily abused. Light Emitting Diodes are more fragile than some designers are aware, but electrical or thermal deficiencies in their fixture design will not often cause a sudden failure. Too much current or too much heat for example, could result in a 50,000 hour part lasting only 10,000 hours.

High quality, high output monochromatic LEDs can provide 70% of their original lumen output at 100,000 hours IF they are not abused. Note that Monochromatic is stipulated because the Phosphor in most white LEDs can degrade faster than the LED junction itself. This can be caused from thermal overload or from excessive ultra-violet exposure. Some manufacturers have overcome these problems, now the integrator must adhere to good science.

G

gunner93

Nicely,

I'd just replaced my stock boost gauge tiny weeny bulb and it blew just less than a month...:rant:I doubt its the fuse right since the fuse is shared with the rest of the interior cluster lighting?

Is there a LED replacement?

P

Pazz

The standard ones are shockingly yellow. But I dunno if I can be bothered taking dash apart etc to change it. More important jobs to do yet.

S

StarletRick

which bulbs are used on the dial backlights (the orange ones) ive lost some of mine.

what colour are they aswell, can you pick them up on ebay?

the backlight on my clock has gone aswell. is that replacable?

S

StarletRick

thanks for that nicely. im either being blind or dumb, but i cant see on there what bulb it takes. are they 501? or are they those smaller T5 ones like toyota use?

also, what colour should i get? is the orange colour tinted onto the dials with a white bulb behind, or are the bulbs coloured themselves.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I've said this many times. Proceed with caution if considering changing dash bulbs to LEDs. The tiny LED bulbs tend to be very inconsistent in brightness. The existing setup uses three different brightness bulbs. Having tried LEDs, I found them to totally overpower the illumination. Also, you have to pick the colours of any LEDs for the warning light VERY carefully otherwise you land up with them being totally different colours! :p

The bulbs aren't standard. You may be able to find some on Ebay, but to get the correct ones, you'll have to go to Nissan to get the PNs listed on my site. They are stupid prices for each bulb and holder. Perhaps getting them from Japan would be better ;)

The tint is a coloured piece of perspex the bulbs shine through.

S

StarletRick

id rather just stick with regular old bulbs if i can, dont need them to be crazy bright.

and i cant just pop to halfords and get these bulbs then? i dont think im ready yet to be bent over by Mr. Nissan, lol.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Lol. No :p

Don't be afraid to order direct from Japan. Prices tend to be a third to half the UK price. Check out the sticky in the Traders section.

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Sorry to be a pain but I have one reverse light and one fog on the back of my S15, since I changed the tail lights I need to get a red bulb [ 921 (18W) ] for the fog as the lense surrounding it is now clear. Where can these be got? I've tried all my local motor factors & halfords etc with no luck...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yeah, good luck on that search. I couldn't find anywhere that did a standard red 921 bulb. The options are:

1. put red film over your unit :p
2. buy some red bulb paint and paint a 921. I've done this in the past and it suppresses light a lot.
3. Get an red LED 921 from superbrightleds.com (ultraleds don't do them).

Which ever you choose will either look crap or be inadequate. My LED fog is nowhere near bright enough. Its why I passed my spare OEM lights to Clearcorners to see what they could do... ;)

S

StarletRick

Zero Point Electronics on eBay sells awesome LED replacements.
ive just spoken to these guys, they say that the lights wont work properly on the s15 as it has some shading pieces behind it or something :\

he sent me a pic of some they tried and it looke really patchy.

i might just get another cluster, and start fecking about with it to see what happens ^^