What's new

Audio installs?

I

ibizatom

Has anyone done any audio install work on their cars? Interested to see what others have done. :)

Also I have read that S14 owners put sound insulation over the rear wheels to help dampen the tire noise. Does this happen on the S15 at all?

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
the only place I have put sound deadner so far is in the doors. The bootlid will get some too and then I will probably do the parcel shelf if I have any left over.

As for an audio install, I have a single 10" sub on one side of the boot using a fibreglass box specific for the S15 and the amps are above the fuel tank (or below the parcel shelf depending on the way you want to look at it.)

Reaction score
Website
www.dnsf.org
Country
Has anyone done any audio install work on their cars? Interested to see what others have done. :)

Also I have read that S14 owners put sound insulation over the rear wheels to help dampen the tire noise. Does this happen on the S15 at all?
I'm doing this at the moment. Its not that tire noise what is bothering me, its that too loud exhaust on long trips at motorways. :)
I'm putting sound insulation to rear arches and back side of rear seats and all over floor under rear seats.

I can upload pics to my project thread after I get everything done.. I'm also doing doors on same method.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i had a vibe 10" sub in the boot and found that when setting it up with the car switched off it sounded fantastic, but due to the exhaust note when the car is on the move, the bass becomes less distinguishable due to the clashing notes of the exhaust and the sub. i made sure that it was removeable anyway as an empty boot seems to make a big difference in these cars...i think the most important sound deadening would be the boot floor and back panel then behind the rear quarters. this should drown out a lot of the exhaust drone.

I

ibizatom

the only place I have put sound deadner so far is in the doors. The bootlid will get some too and then I will probably do the parcel shelf if I have any left over.

As for an audio install, I have a single 10" sub on one side of the boot using a fibreglass box specific for the S15 and the amps are above the fuel tank (or below the parcel shelf depending on the way you want to look at it.)
Ahh cool. Don't suppose you have any pictures at all? :)

I'm doing this at the moment. Its not that tire noise what is bothering me, its that too loud exhaust on long trips at motorways. :)
I'm putting sound insulation to rear arches and back side of rear seats and all over floor under rear seats.

I can upload pics to my project thread after I get everything done.. I'm also doing doors on same method.
Pictures would be fantastic. :)

i had a vibe 10" sub in the boot and found that when setting it up with the car switched off it sounded fantastic, but due to the exhaust note when the car is on the move, the bass becomes less distinguishable due to the clashing notes of the exhaust and the sub. i made sure that it was removeable anyway as an empty boot seems to make a big difference in these cars...i think the most important sound deadening would be the boot floor and back panel then behind the rear quarters. this should drown out a lot of the exhaust drone.
Interesting.

I am on the way to setting up a small car audio install business, just something low key for the time being, but interested to find out what would need to be done before hand. :)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
yes I do have some pics, but the install is still in progress, so it is a bit messy. Will upload them when I get time.

Reaction score
Website
www.dnsf.org
Country
As you request some pics, here you go :)

Before nothing...

After sound insulation...

I did use STP 2mm sound insulation mats (37cmx26cm). I also did parcel shelf (is that right word?) and back of rear seats (that one which stuck that hole in the rear, if you what I mean...

After all I have little left and going to do doors too and under of the boot.

Should be fine after that :)

When I was doing that, you can see that I did all of my wirings (fuelpump, amp, speakers, remote to amp, rca) nicely and safely!

Stuck some 10mm foam-type sound insulation to those holes at the sides (front of rear arches), bacause that is one of the worst extra tire sound source...