What's new

Grounding Kit for a Car with Battery Relocated to the Trunk

Reaction score
Does it make sense to have a grounding kit installed on a car that has the battery relocated to the trunk area?

Reaction score
Country
I can't actually tell if it's really necessary or not, but i always do a grounding kit after doing a battery relocation just to be safe. Heck, even if i'm not doing a battery relocation, i feel is good thing to prevent future grounding issues.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i'd agree, some of the earths are a bit pants on these.....all its a case of is connecting the earthing kit end to the negative cable that runs back to the battery rather than the negative post itself as thats too far away ;)

Reaction score
I was just wondering as the negative from the battery no doubt would be in the trunk and not run all the way back to the front of the vehicle right? So where would all these grounding cables now all connect to seeing as the battery is in the back now?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i see...what about running some 8awg cable from the battery cable up to the engine compartment on the plenum earth, then run the graounding kit around the engine bay from there :) grounding kits are normally made up of 8awg or even 10awg cable.

Reaction score
Hmmm that would require me doing some handy work again running the cable from front to back, will have to think this through and see what makes sense. The car starts proper but just trying to have things optimum.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
all i did was take a multimeter and check the resistance between the plenum (main earth point) to the battery negative (this should be very low, something like 0.1-0.2 ohms). then stayed on the battery negative with one lead and prodded all the earth connections around the engine bay. most were low (<5 ohms) but a couple were into the kohms and thats why i didn't see any harm in a grounding kit - its cheap unlike most other things s15 so why not :)