What's new

car wont start now and then

Reaction score
Country
right my problem is

the past week on a monday morning and then again last night i was parked up having chat with friends then decided to leave and go in and turn the keys disabled the immobiliser with the fob and turn the key but nothing happens car doesnt turn over atall and theres no clicking noise which indicates the starter motor has gone im nt entirely sure if its the immobiliser as it all seems to be working fine the little LED is lighting up as it should and the car locks unlocks fine i have phoned the company who fitted the alarm and they said the alarm isnt the problem its the starter motor but as i said its not clicking i checked for loose connection to it but seems fine so im completly stuck on this :(.it doesnt do it all the time jst every now and then .

has anyone had this problem or have any idea what this is as i cant travel to far without worrying bout getting home again lol

any help much appreciated

S

S15 SILVIA

How long ago was the alarm fitted? What make and model etc?
Sounds ignition related, so could be the alarm immobiliser sticking on, or mabey starter?!
If the alarm had recently been fitted, the fitter should really come back to check the alarm over. He can't just pass the buck. If the starter was fine before the system was fitted, there is a high possibility that the alarm is at fault.
I had a similar problem with an alarm I had fitted a few years back, and fair play to em, gap security came out within 2 days to test the alarm. Found it faulty, and installed another new system.
Not saying it is the alarm immobiliser at fault, but the company should cone to inspect the system!
Mike

Jay

Reaction score
i had a similar problem with mine several weeks after buying it. the solution was to remove the battery terminals, clean them and refit. however in yours you have the dash lights working (i assume) so would not be this? in mine all would unlock fine then i would turn the key to start the car and everything would just switch off. no dash lights, nothing.

maybe in yours, a bad earth tripping the immobiliser? check and clean all your earthing points by rubbing with some fine glass paper (it wouldnt do any harm to do this even if it aint the problem)

Reaction score
Country
it was fitted about 9-10months ago after i brought the car had to have it done or insurance wouldnt touch me :)
yeah i did ring the company and explained the situation but he was sure it wasnt the alarm hhmm but does seem like the immobilier but saying that he said the immobiliser is linked with the fuel pump and if the immobiliser unsets on the button press the fuel pump should prime up which is does meaning the immobiliser is working.well confusing to be honest :(

Reaction score
Country
i had a similar problem with mine several weeks after buying it. the solution was to remove the battery terminals, clean them and refit. however in yours you have the dash lights working (i assume) so would not be this? in mine all would unlock fine then i would turn the key to start the car and everything would just switch off. no dash lights, nothing.

maybe in yours, a bad earth tripping the immobiliser? check and clean all your earthing points by rubbing with some fine glass paper (it wouldnt do any harm to do this even if it aint the problem)
yeah my dashlights are all fine and all stay on :) just the fact of it not starting now and then some days will be fine some others it wont.makes no sense :( .yeah il check all the earthing points thanks man :)

thanks for replying by the way :)

Reaction score
Country
the times when it does start up, does it sound like the starter is struggling to turn over the first couple seconds?

Reaction score
Country
No it fires up completely fine mate :).

I spoke to a mate last night and he had the same with his golf and said his starter remote lead had come loose but I had a look yesterday and seemed ok but il double check later or if it decides to not start il play bout with it and see wot happens atleast itl cross it off the list if it doesn't help.

Jay

Reaction score
just a thought.... the immobiliser wont stop the car turning over, it just stops it from actualy starting. i.e. if the immobiliser was on then the car would still turn over on the starter. thats my understanding of it (any of the more knowledgable care to confirm or rubbish this?) that goes for the fuel pump too. pump wont stop a car turning over.
so going on that .... looks like a starter motor issue?

S

S15 SILVIA

My immobiliser just cuts the ignition. Ie no dash lights will come on until the key is turned and the button pressed (when left for a while)
Otherwise I usually just blip the fob, open the door, key in ignition turn and away to go.
If the ignition isn't turned within a set time the immobiliser will automatically turn back on, and I won't have any lights on the dash.
Is it usual for the imobiliser to be linked to the fuel pump?

Reaction score
Country
Well I had a fiddle around with the remote lead on the starter motor and since then she's been fine so I think it's problem solved people :D.thanks for everyones replys and help :)

Jay

Reaction score
glad you got it sorted bud, nothing worse than having a car like the 15 and losing confidence in its reliability.