ABS On/Off Switch

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hi guys :)

Looking to proceed with switch panel upgrade work so thinking about installing a 20A switch to turn on/off the ABS system (thanks Craig for the switch lol)... however don't want to remove the actual unit as a) haven't got the time and b) not sure if I want to go this far :p

JameS15 managed to disable the ABS system at the last DWYB we went to by pulling out the three harness connector clips next to the ABS unit inside the engine bay. However I want to be able to wire in a switch to the ABS fuse so I can do this as I please from inside the car :thumbs:

http://download.s15oc.com/s15_fuse_diagrams.pdf

What's confusing though is that there seems to be x3 ABS fuses if you look at the PDF diagram above... two in the engine bay fuse box and one in the footwell fusebox :wack: Would I have to somehow wire the switch to kill all three fuses?! Is this why there are x3 harness clips next the the unit itself I take it??

Cheers

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
There's going to be a way of doing it. I haven't got time to look now but will do after work :)

sx-si

Reaction score
what happens if you just take the fuse out? i didnt know the breaks would work well if its unplugged?
if its a simple fuse trick then it would be simple to bypass and add a switch

Reaction score
if you need to disconnect all 3 circuits at once, can you get a contactor relay/switch?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ok guys thanks the for replies :)

Andeep (and everyone who suggested similar) - think I'll have to wire in some sort of relay which will effectively disconnect all x3 fuses which are marked ABS for this to work. I can't see it working by killing only a single fuse and this was what I was kinda really asking as I've already planned to do what I already did with the ignition kill in terms of general wiring to a switch etc.

Craig - you free anytime soon? lmao :p

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I think bypassing the fuses with the switch must be the same as pulling out all the harness connectors next to the ABS unit to disable it. JameS15 said his brakes worked much better (and without the ABS going crazy whilst spinning out) at the last drift day we went to.

I'm gonna test this first before I wire in anything... pull the harnesses out and drive on some fast country roads... also now's a good time cos it's wet lol. If I like it then I'll continue to wire this in and if I don't then will put this plan to bed :)

Reaction score
I've heard that on the S14s you just take a single ABS fuse out, it's probably different on these S15s.

Test the car out at a low speed in the wet and slam the brakes on, the car should slide. I've never had a problem sliding at higher speeds with no ABS when I brake hard.

sx-si

Reaction score
lol andeep
i think it is the same as the s14 as there nearly identicle

also try saying that when its a wet winter morning and your doing 80 on the moterway
my bumhole used to get soo small when everybody infronts break lights came on, also if you leave a nice big gap in the fast lane in rush hour then you just get undertaken

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
lol hence the switch so I can just have ABS when driving normally and specially when it's wet and turn if off for the track/drift days etc :thumbs:

I'll try process of elimination/combination whichever way you look at it. Will be funny having to test in the wet with each fuse removed on it's own and if this don't work then combination until all 3 fuses are removed :wack: :D

Reaction score
Haha, I will take that into consideration in the winter! But as long as you don't slam the brakes on you will be fine, progressive engaging them so they don't lock works for me in the wet.

But I try not to drive the car in snow :D

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Has anyone had chance to do the fuse trick yet to see which one requires removing for no ABS?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Not had a chance to try Craig and it's dry today grrr?! Want to try testing in the wet to ensure it really is switched off :wack:

If it's damp/wet tonight I'll definitely have a go and make sure I got the fuse diagram with me in the car. Looks like from Andeeps thread link posted above this should work with just the 10A fuse taken out of the footwell fusebox rather than the engine bay ones.

Will report back as soon as I've testing this :thumbs:

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Footwell fuses are just as easy as the engine bay ones. Find out which one is best and we can do it when im over your way again. You probably won't need that 20A though.. I might have to swap you for a 10A as I've found use for a 20A myself!!

Edit: If you could find a wiring diagram then I could work out which fuse does what and which would be the best one to put the break into.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Craig - I pulled out the footwell fuse for ABS and it worked a treat... was really wet and I was skidding for miles lol :D

However, problem is that the speedo stops working :( So I'm not sure if this method can be done as it'll do my head in not having a working speedo!! :wack:

Reaction score
Ah that sucks. Makes sense that the speedo wouldn't work as it reads the speed from the ABS sensor in the diff :( It works fine on the S14s since they get their speed from the gearbox.