Guide: Installing Ignition Kill Switch

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ok folks :)

Just thought I'd write up a guide of how to install your very own S15 ignition kill switch. These babies are generally used on motorsport cars which go one step further and have complete electrical kill switches from inside and out to meet racing safety requirements (FIA regs etc). By just having an ignition kill inside the cabin it gives me an extra point to kill the engine should I be involved in an accident since I'm doing more and more track/drift days :wack:

MANY THANKS to Craig for helping me do the wiring bits cos I'm still learning :rolleyes: Top job as always mate!! :thumbs:

Bits required for install:
*Toggle switch rated to at least 10A
*Missile style switch cover
*High current wire (figure-of-eight/twin type) rated to at least 10A (3 metres)
*Blade connectors
*Wire connectors (allows two open ended wires to be joined together)

Right - first of all locate the correct fuse (ignition coil) we need to implement the new set of wires and switch in order to kill the ignition! Open the bonnet and take the top cover off the fusebox:

Start the engine so the car is running. In order to double check we are dealing with the correct fuse, whilst the car is running get a pair of pliers and remove the correct 10A red fuse. This should be the 4th fuse from the bottom (front end of the car) as outlined by the image above. If you'd rather not do this whilst the car is running then remove fuse with car turned off. Once removed you will not be able to start the car - only the starter motor will turn over etc :thumbs:

NOW REMOVE THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL OF THE BATTERY BEFORE PROCEEDING!!!

Cool - now we can proceed to wire in the new high current wire which will allow the toggle switch to kill the normal feed to the 10A ignition fuse. Again using the above image, there are two small clips that need to be pushed in so the whole section of fuses can be moved away from the main fuse box.

Once you've lifted the section of fuses then you need to located the white wire from the underside that is the fuse wire for the ignition coil. See image below:

IMPORTANT: This wire is white for my car but I'm not sure whether every S15 will have a white wire so double check otherwise you'll be switching the wrong thing! Ok, once located then cut this wire and remove enough sheath for insertion into wire connectors :)

Take one end of the new high current wire and again, remove some sheath so this can be inserted into wire connectors. Then connect the new wires to the cut white fuse wire like so...

Right now feed the new wire (in my case the black and red figure-of-eight double) through the firewall and into the cabin. On the other end, simply strip some sheath like before and use blade/butt connectors so they can be inserted into the back of the toggle switch.

I got mine form Maplins and also a missile style cover for added security :cool: I already had a blank cubby hole DIN sized under the stereo so cut out a piece of real carbon sheet to size the wrapped in carbon vinyl so it's the same as my console piece:

So the default position is OFF with the missile cover down. This means the car will not run and ignition coil is killed. To start the car I switch toggle to the up position and the car will now start :thumbs:

More pics...

Will be adding a START button for the starter motor soon as well as a couple of other switched yet to be decided so the panel will be full very soon hehe ;)

Cheers,

James

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I knew it wouldn't be long until the guide appeared!! :) Always happy to help. Thanks for the shroud too mate!

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
nice write up agian, loving the LuPix how to guides.:thumbs:

Think you have space for some form of engine fire extinguisher system maybe? or maybe a go baby go button!:rotfl:

Keep up the good work mate.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers andeep - I'm sure you'll be wiring up your own version soon lol :)

Craig - you know me pics 'n' guides haha :p Thanks for the help and passing over the shroud is the least I can do to say thanks! :thumbs:

Suspect - yeah I was toying with the idea of a pull lever for a plumbed in fire extinguisher. But knowing my luck, the kids will pull it when I'm driving somewhere and unless I can put some sort of lock on it would be better - but then that defeats the whole point of a quick, accessible extinguisher trigger mechanism haha?! :wack:

Toby - you've confused me lol... I've wired in the ignition button and mentioned that next on the list is a starter button :)

The kids love it... on the school run this morning Olly was able to flip up the missile cover and flick the toggle to start the car whilst I turned over the starter motor... track car wannabe :p

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
lol no worries mate :) Thanks for the link... I've been keeping a beady eye on starter buttons and as much as I like the look of the Honda 2000 one you've posted, I'm thinking I'd be better off getting one of those universal kits because they come with all the relays and wires etc. Might just end up cheaper and since I'm not as confident on wiring, a kit with instructions might be better for me :wack:

Cheers