What's new

faulty Door-open warning light

M

Muso

Hi guys.

As of last night, my red door-open light has been lightly flickering whilst I am driving the car. When I open the door, the warning light will come on full, as it should. But when they are closed, I still get a half strength/flickering light. obviously it is a faulty sensor but I don't know where to find this.

It has even began on flick on and off the internal light thinking that the door is opening.

Any simple fixes guys? It's not a big problem but could get annoying.
Cheers.

Reaction score
Country
the 'Sensor' is just a push button switch. Open your doors and look when the latch is that the door locks onto when you close it. around there is a black round thning that when you push it, your inside light goes out.. and release and its back on again!
Not sure how you'l find out which side is dodgy without ripping all the wiring out.. I guess if you got a voltmeter onto the switches, one might fluctuate if its dodgy but i couldnt say.
Least you know where the switches are though :)

M

Muso

Thanks JaseYpk.
I will take a look and see if I can find anything funny with that.

B

Brett

Flickering door open sensor

Hi

I just read your post and have exactly the same symptoms but with a Hyundai.

I have removed my door plungers and ensured that they are clean and even ran my own earth leads to the connectors incase I had a bad earth but with no success.

Did you ever resolve this problem ?

Cheers

Brett

Reaction score
Country
i had this problem in my integra but my mate adjusted the latch where the door sort of clips round when shut it was loose causin the door open light to flicker on when driving and weight was being pulled away from the door.have a look and see if its a little bit loose it solved the problem for me anyway was a matter of tightening a couple of screws :D might be different with the silvias but cant imagine it as they are both jap.have a look even if it isnt its another check off the list :D

B

Brett

Thanks for the reply. I will certainly investigate it today because it's driving me crazy ! I currently have a small square of black electrical tape stuck on the glass over the LED because it's so distracting when driving, especially at night time.

The moment I disarm the alarm and before I open any doors the LED is flashing away on the dashboard. If I open a door the LED shines brightly and doesnt flicker. Also the interior lights come on and so does the red light in the side of the door itself, but once I close the door the light on the dash goes back to this chronic flickering.

If I knew how to turn it off altogether then I would and would take the bulb out of the dash but I gather than involves taking the steering wheel off and I'm slightly cautious to do so especially with an air bag because I gather it's a slight scarey job !

Anyway...I will check the door latches because it has to be something simple

Thank you

Brett

Reaction score
Country
sounds exactly like my integra mate was driving along and kept seeing the light come on the dash flickering and the light on the roof where the door was slighty loose and kept flashing i thought it was speed cameras getting me all the time haha till i realised.take a look at the latches wouldnt suprise me if it is that sounds spot on the same.