What's new

Passenger Window Problem

Reaction score
I have done a conversion on my S14 and swapped the entire wiring from an S15 into it but I have one problem that I cannot solve. When I put the lead for the battery on and put the key in the ignition and switched it to the ON position the passenger window immediately went down without pressing any door switch and has never gone up since. All wiring is plug and play and I have rechecked all grounds and even redone them. what can it be as I am not seeing any blown fuses or relays. The power window relay I checked but it does not look blown, would it looked discoloured if blown or not necessarily?

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
try unplugging the passengers side windows switch and then the drivers side one. It could be a problem in the switch packs. If anything, it sounds like a shorted wire rather than a ground problem.

Reaction score
I unplugged the passenger side and tried using the driver side, no luck. I then unplugged the driverside and tried using the passenger side, still no luck. Everything was plug and play, no splicing whatsoever. Everything else works fine in the car but this one so far has got me stumped. Any other suggestions? Thanks by the way for the help, when I go home I wanna troubleshoot further.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
The next thing I would be doing is checking the motor. Put 12v one way and make sure the window goes up then try the other way and check the window goes down. If that doesn't work then then buzz out your wiring with a multimeter, it still sounds like a short to me.

Disclaimer - it is very hard to troubleshoot something over the internet without looking at it in person!!!!

Reaction score
Yeah understood. One thing to note is that a couple months back when I got back the car the passenger and driver door glasses were down and seeing as the car wa sout in the weather I got a battery and manually powered both up without problems. Key is that certain wires need to be grounded and some powered. Took some guessing but got them both up so I know that both the up and down is functioning.

Reaction score
Will do some further checks this afternoon and get back to you with my findings. Thanks again.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
cool... I would like to know what it is.

Reaction score
Well got some good results. I reconnected the passenger side window switch and got my mutlimeter out and checked to see if when I press or pull the switch if the 12V would switch from side to side and it did which meant that the window motor was indeed getting the voltage. At that point I removed the battery from the trunk and hooked a direct wire to the motor connector and tried powering the motor, sure enough the motor worked and I am able to send the window up. I left it at that point. It seems that the ground from the main switch I am thinking may be the problem but right now I am still going through the FSM looking at schematics. As far as I can remember the ground is a 'floating ground' so one of the ground signals may not be being sent to the passenger side motor connector. Can someone confirm and is the only way to fix this to get a replacement main switch?

Reaction score
I removed some aftermarket nissan unit that was attached to the driver side, it some sort of antenna attached to it and looked to be fitted to the window setup to power the windows up via a remote. Anyway, thought it would have helped by removing it but same problem, when I put that battery on and put the key to the ON position the passenger side window immediately goes down. I know the drivers side main switch is working properly as I tested it in my friend's car and I also know that the passenger side switch is giving the proper 12V supply in the up and down sides. Can it be the ground that is causing this and what to check?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Appologise for the delay in responding. I have sent you a pm.

Reaction score
Well I forgot to update as well. Seems my passenger side power window switch was defective. I opened it there are four metal balls that are used to establishe a complete circuit to power the window regulator in an up or down fashion. Two of the balls were dislodged from on top the contacts and made there way to the two stationery balls in the corner and shorted the switch contact so that it was always powering the window down. It cause the corner to become ever so slightly melted. I have since repaired it for now until I can get my hands on a good one. It functions all properly now. Much thanks for the help anyway. I knew my wiring was proper :D.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
ah ha. I had a look at the wiring diagrams last night and suggested the passenger switch in the pm. Good to see that you found the problem.

Reaction score
Well I still need to find an S15 passenger switch as I tried repairing it and it works sometimes. I prefer obviously to get a proper one. Also it looks like there are two types of passenger switched. My friend has one with a totally different connector on it. The hunt is on.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I can find heaps of drivers side ones on ebay but no passenger side :(

If I come across one, I will let you know.

Reaction score
I tried cleaning the contacts and mounted it back and so far it is working fine. Will monitor it but I will still have my eye out for a replacement.