What's new

My ecu has died!

Jay

Reaction score
well.... during the fitting of my nistune board, as soon as my mapper tried to connect to consult, the ecu shat itself. we think someone at somepoint has messed with it and screwed with the connection, the result being the instant it was connected to, it crashed. we have plugged a 14a ecu and it will connect to consult, so the prob was defo the ecu.

my mapper has spare 14a ecu's, so we sending the board to horsham to be reconfigured for 14a ecu, or my mate has a power fc, but he not sure at this point if it for a 14 or 14a. we gotta wait till monday to find out as it at his work.

i hate it when you want to do a job properly and end up having to put right other muppets bodge jobs first. the 15 is my daily driver and now im stuck having to leave the wife without a car whilst i go to work etc, until we can get this sorted. (not to mention the extra cost involved in doing all this)

:mad::annoyed::wack::mad:

Reaction score
I assume you have an s15,if so the S14 stock ECU's and Power FC won't work on your car. Power FC's are model specific. There are differences between the S14 and S15 ECU's not the least the 6 speed box and Coil packs to name a few.

Jay

Reaction score
s14a's will work fine on the s15. dont ask me why, im not a techie so dont really understand the reasons. but s14 ecu doesnt work (again i dont know why). the same goes for the power fc, if it is from the s14a then fine, if its s14 then no.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I believe the Apexi PFC for S14a will work ok on an S15 as long as the wiring is altered. S15 PFC is plug and play, S14a into S15 just requires some wires changed around etc.

Soz to hear about this buddy... gutting when some other previous owner has fooked around with the car and bodged it!! :(

Jay

Reaction score
I believe the Apexi PFC for S14a will work ok on an S15 as long as the wiring is altered. S15 PFC is plug and play, S14a into S15 just requires some wires changed around etc.

Soz to hear about this buddy... gutting when some other previous owner has fooked around with the car and bodged it!! :(
thanks, think we just about got it sorted now. had to go down the s14a ecu route, and yes you are correct a few wires need changing around... the pfc was for the s14 and as such was unsuitable. a drive down to horsham to reflash the nistune board was required by my mapper to get that compatible and we ready to go!

S

S15 SILVIA

Sorry for being thick, but how does all this nistune stuff work?
Is it something you need to solder to the factory ecu? Or is it purely software?
Is nistune stuff still easy to buy?
Thinking of getting Steve at fc tuning to sort the mapping when I finally get the mods rolling, does he supply it etc?
Sorry for the dull questions!
Mike

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
The Nistune is an add on daughter board for the standard ECU to make it progammable. It requires soldering in of a printed circuit board (daughterboard). You can then get your car tuned. If you want, you can also buy a compatible consult cable and the software so you can see your cars readings in real time and if you are that way inclined, play with the tune (not recommended unless you know what you are doing.)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
And just to add to Meddler's words... yes Steve will have a daughter board already soldered onto an S15 ECU ready before your map session. He then takes your ECU for the next person who wants the same Nistune installation :)

S

S15 SILVIA

Ahh. I see. Cheers all.
Must invest in one sometime soon.
Mike

Jay

Reaction score
ok update!! after lots of messing about, chopping and changing ecu's etc.... finally i have a fully mapped car! we decided to revert to the original s15 ecu after the nistune board reflash on the s14a failed. my mapper sent the board back and reflashed it for the s15 ecu and repaired said ecu.

boost is now .95 bar, that is as high as we could go as injector duty is now 95% and afm is maxed out.

i am taking from this that the engine is making good power and not relying on the turbo to get hp/torque.

the sr feels strong and is really noticeable the gains we have made, particularly in the higher gears. i dont know the output, but from what i understand reading on this forum 95% injector duty would roughly equate to 295bhp plus and similar torque. tbh im not worried about the figures, as its about driveability, and im loving it!!!

a gentleman by the name of martin battye did all the work with the ecu and nistune mapping, and i would recommend him to anybody as this bloke really knows his stuff. (if anyone wants to contact him then pm me)