What's new

climate control and fuel

Reaction score
Country
hey

ino the AC uses fuel but does climate control?ive had it switched off for tonight and noticed the difference in fuel consumption is it just in my head though??

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
ac uses more fuel but only because its an additional load on the engine when the compressor kicks in, so if the ac is turned off then you will get a few more mpg. as far as climate control goes, i'm assuming you mean a/c off, but blowers on. this shouldnt noticeably use more fuel, but is an electrical load on the engine either way....

Reaction score
Country
Yeah no ac on.but i usually just use the climate control but read somewhere else that the ac and climate
control are joint together which makes climate
control use fuel.I've had the whole climate system
turned off tonite and drove pretty hard and didn't seem to use as much.but
may be just in my head haha.

So with it switched off it would run better anyway your saying?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
But don't be under any illusions. Open the windows instead of having the AC on and you'll use more fuel too from the increase air resistance.

And lets face it, if a small increase in fuel consumption bothers you, you're really driving the wrong car.

Reaction score
Country
Yeah I never use the AC unless it's really hot but let's face it it never is in this country ;) haha.

No it doesn't bother me was just a general wondering to be honest as I read something somewhere and wondered if it was true :D

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i dont tend to use the ac either, i dont mind using more fuel by having the windows open, in fact i've never even really thought about it. i'd rather fresh air than cool air :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I read a test they did and they came to the conclusion that you use more fuel with ac on up to 50 miles an hour ,driving with your window open is best,then above 50 the ac doesn't add much to the load on the engine and uses less fuel than having the window open. - tried this in my other car and if you drive round with it on all the time it does use up the fuel quite noticeably.