Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    craig8585 is offline I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
    This is craig8585's Country Flag (Great Britain)
    Liked

GUIDE: Installing twin electric cooling fans

I've recently installed a twin electric fan setup on my S15 so thought I would share some information about it.

Originally I used a Revotec Fan Controller to control the coolant temperature, but after doing a bit of research it seems there is a more efficient, more reliable and simpler way of controlling the water temperature. The standard cooling system comprises of a viscous fan with plastic shroud and a single electric fan hidden inside the shroud.

The single electric fan is controlled by the ECU which recieves a temperature reading from a temperature sensor in the cooling system. On the standard S15 ECU the electric fan is set to cut in when the coolant reaches 95C and cut out once the coolant temperature has reduced to 90C. If you have an Apexi Power FC I believe these temperatures are reduced to 90C and 85C. Both systems keep the coolant within a 5C range unless you are cruising at high speed when the temperature will probably reduce to the mid-low 80's (effectively controlled by the thermostat) due to the natural airflow through the rad. The standard electric fan also cuts in when the A/C compressor clutch is engaged.

The Revotec control unit is a good bit of kit, but there have been numerous reports of failure on SXOC and the unit is only capable of controlling the temp within a 10C range (ie. cut in at 95C and off at 85C), which is twice that of the ECU controlled system. Also, there is obviously no provision for the fans to cut in when the A/C system is engaged.

Therefore I devised a very simple system that utilises the standard ECU fan control, but is also able to power a higher ampere twin fan setup safely (see diagram below). It is necessary to use a relay in the system as the twin fans will draw more current than the original single fan and would probably blow the fuse. Most aftermarket fans are around 80W each, which works out at 18A for the pair. It is important to use a relay and wiring etc. suitable for the job, so I used a 30A setup to be safe, with a fuse incorporated into the relay.

Hope this helps guys. It will also save you buying a Revotec controller

If there are any points I have missed out, please add them below. I'll add some pics up as soon as I can too.

Liked
    GUIDE: Installing twin electric cooling fans
    @Peglio13
    Top man,something I will be looking to do in the future so very useful to know!

DeanS15 is offline My car is so clean you could eat off it.
    This is DeanS15's Country Flag (England)
    Liked
    nice guide mate, did you fit these with a shroud or something from apex? if so could we have a pic of it fitted

Liked
    Yeah, I've fitted mine with the apex shroud and I helped James LuPix fit his last night too, but he didnt have the shroud so ghetto's them on with cable ties!!

I'll get you a pic at the weekend mate as the car's at home and I'm not. The apex shroud does look good and fits well, but the quality of the fans that come with it defiantly aren't as good as the Driftworks ones.

DeanS15 is offline My car is so clean you could eat off it.
    This is DeanS15's Country Flag (England)
    Liked
    cool mate, would mind a look at it

Liked
    Good work craig i didnt see this yesterday i hardwired mine to the a switch in the dash. I was going to post up today to see if the s15 had a stock thermostat etc. lol

MY s15 didnt have a single fan however the loom is there for one. So where do i get the relay from maplins?

Liked
    30A fuse plus relay were both from Halfords and I believe Craig said it's the older style 'larger' fuse.

Many thanks to Craig for helping me install this exact setup I bought a couple of 12" Japspeed fans to attach to the 50mm Japspeed rad already fitted a couple months ago... They didn't come with mount/bracket/shroud so we just ended up cable tying them to the rad and it's not going anywhere - tight as feck so I'm happy

Fans kick in dead on 90 deg and turns off when it drops to 85. Takes less than a minute - awesome amount of air being sucked through lol!!

S14a Track Machine Progress Thread >> Click Here <<

Liked
    Yeah, the fused ones are 8 from Halfords. You'll need some electrical crimps and the crimping tool and some insulation aswel to do it neatly

No probs James, pleasure as always!

Liked
    did you remove the standard viscous fan completely then? only using the twin fans?
    would this be fine to use as theyre not running all the time, and only kick in at certain temperatures?

3 Years, 52,000 miles, Multiple Collisions, Two Write Offs, One Severe Flood creating the 3 cylinder SR15DET for a week. And now its scrap.
    Now that's what I called a daily drive!

Liked
    Yeah, I binned the viscous, theres no need for it at all with this setup. The viscous fan is inefficient as they run all the time, even when your engine is stone cold and when you've got enough speed to not need a fan. The twin fans suck an incredible amount air through the rad too.