What's new

Amplifier Installation

wutang200

Reaction score
Did some searching and had no luck at all.

How do I get power cable from the engine bay to the rear of the car?

What have you used?

Any pics?

Reaction score
can a power cable from the battery, through to the cabin (down where the other wires go that come out above the kick (fuse) box, ran it behind the dash, then under the stereo, under the centre console, under rear set, into boot, and power : )

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I ran mine under the front guard through the 5" bung into the cabin then around the fuse panel into the sill under the door into the rear quarter panel and into the boot.

wutang200

Reaction score
I still don't understand.

I just can't work out how to get the cable from the engine bay into the cabin.

Any pics?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
remove the drivers side front arch liner (rear section, only four screws and a couple of clips) and you'll see where the cables go through to the cabin. then its just a case of running from the battery, through the inner wing to this hole, poking a new little hole in it and feeding it through ;)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
yes mate, turn full lock to the left, then you can reach up into the arch to pop the little clips out with a little flat head screwdriver. then you can just use the type of little phillips screwdriver head from a socket set to undo the rest, one in the lip at the top of the arch, two on the sideskirt end cap and one under the sill. 5 min job, but of course even easier if the wheels already off ;)

wutang200

Reaction score
Thanks mate. I'm contemplating fitting a small sub in my S15 as I do a lot of motorway driving.

Sounds easy enough :)

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country

wutang200

Reaction score
That looks very interesting mate.

Please show me a pic as it'll help me make my mind up and will do the same for others who are thinking about doing this kind of thing.

Basically what this does is fit on either side of my boot and allow me to fit any 12" sub into the hole?
What about the existing stuff that's there, does that need to be removed?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Here is a pic of mine. I haven't finished installing everything yet. The trim panel in the back of the boot still has to go in. All the boot trim stays installed and it goes over the boot brace as you can see in the picture. The box is designed for a 12" sub, but I have a 10" fitted in mine. You can also get an enclosure for the other side as well, but it sits infront of the storage area for the jack, so you could have 2 subs in you car if you wanted.

P1010026..jpg

Reaction score
Thats pretty cool.... if i was to have a sub thats what i would do!! :thumbs:

wutang200

Reaction score
That does look pretty neat but I have a few more questions:

Doesn't the enclosure have to be fully sealed to get decent bass quality as most subs are designed for sealed enclosures?

How do I keep that thing in place as I can't see where I can screw it down etc?

Where are you mounting the amp?

Please send some pics of the full install once you fully finish it as I'm very interested.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
That does look pretty neat but I have a few more questions:
Thanks

Doesn't the enclosure have to be fully sealed to get decent bass quality as most subs are designed for sealed enclosures?
Depends on the sub. You can run Subs in a sealed or ported enclosure. It depends on the specs as to what type of box it should go in. There are other factors that can help make the decision, but the sub design is the main one.

How do I keep that thing in place as I can't see where I can screw it down etc?
I have bolted a piece of 12mm MDF down and the sub is bolted to that. I should have a pic of it somewhere.

Where are you mounting the amp?
I have made an amp rack to sit above the fuel tank under the rear parcel shelf

Please send some pics of the full install once you fully finish it as I'm very interested.
np. This is an intermediate setup. The final setup is still being thought about. I know I want the sub(s) under the parcel shelf, but to do that I need to get rid of the torsion bars for the boot and change them to gas struts. I know how I can do it, I just have to find the right size and force rating to support my boot. The amps will then be mounted on the boot floor, but I plan to buy new amps before that. Even this intermediate setup has taken quite a bit of work, but it is just to get my setup running in the car. Once it is tuned correctly, I will start on the final install.