What's new

Gauge lights dimmer switch question

Reaction score
Country
has anyone put in a dimmer switch to control the brightness of dash lights or gauge lights?

Im asking as the gauges i installed are too bright for my liking, so i wired in a dimmer switch.
but since im am not an electrical minded person i was wondering have i got the wrong type as i am getting a small burning smell coming off the switch.

The variable resistor is brand new and is a B100k, i guess its the wrong type also due to the fact the it does nothing to change the bulbs brightness untill the lest few degrees of turn.

it does not control any of the factory lights only the aftermarket gauges

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume that was in Jest as a resistor will give you no control. You are correct that a variable resistor (Potentiometer) is what you want. I would have thought that this will need to go inline on the positive feed to the dash lights, you will need to get one that has the correct max power rating, use a multimetre inline to measure the current (maybe the one you have is not rated high eneough??)... Is the illumination line the signal to switch a relay?? (not sure)

Reaction score
Country
Im not sure if its on a relay or not, i think i will just get another dimming switch of another nissan