What's new

Battery / Electrical issues

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Can anyone give me any advice about how to check if my battery is knackered??

Basically have found since having my car that if it is left for 2 weeks say whilst i am on holiday that I come back and the battery was flat.. In late 2008 i therefore swapped out my battery for one of these as in the sticky threads:

http://www.tayna.co.uk/Type-055-Varta-Asia-Car-Battery-P3203.html

This is the A15 type of battery rated at
Capacity - 40Ah
CCA(EN) - 330A

Since the cold weather this year it has run flat a few times, I've bought a new battery charger and charged the battery a few times but it runs down in a few days.. Generally I only do 20 miles or so kind of driving not long runs..

The charge in the battery doesn't seem to be lasting like it did before? I've put an ammeter in line with Alarm set or unset it has nominal draw of 0.08A, which i think is about normal?? The battery voltage is 12.89V with engine off (after charging the battery) - I'll check tomorrow to see what its dropped to. Alternator seems ok as with engine running the voltage is 14.68V...

Spoken to Tayna and they say the battery has a 4yr warranty and they can test it for me, however this will obviously cost me money to send back, so is there anything else I should rule out or check first??

Any ideas??

Als