What's new

folding mirrors when locking the car

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
did anyone ever work out how to make the mirrors fold in automatically when you lock the car? i did a modification on my old fto which had a very similar setup switch to fold the mirrors in, it consisted of a couple of relays wired to the central locking controller and to the back of the mirror switch panel. now i'm pretty convinced this wiring diagram can be adapted to suit the s15's wiring if someone could tell me where the central locking control unit is on the car. if not the only other way would be to run a 12v permanent live to the drivers door and use the trigger wires on the central locking motor in the door (provided its not a polarity reversal type) then the two relays and all the wiring can be housed in the door itself under the switch. can anyone help, (nicely i know you were looking into this a long time ago:thumbs:) its a neat cheap mod to keep me busy and something i quite like as normally decent cars are fitted with this feature:)

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Yea its quite simple, You need the toad alarm with the window closing optional extra. then you need to extend the power to the mirror motors aswell as the window regulators. I will try and dig out some diagrams.

Thats what i did on my rx7 and red s14.

Last edited:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i'll get the relays and have a go at it over christmas - gives me somthing to do lol. i'll post up any diagrams if i have a success:)

Reaction score
Was going to do this myself, never got round to it though! let us know if you get it working dean (im sure you will) :thumbs:

Reaction score
You had a chance to have a look at this yet Dean? The bloodey snow is getting in the way of me having a go!! :(

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
none at all mate - work has been a nightmare due to the snow (railway) and the car is buried at the moment so this will have to be looked into as and when it ever decides to stop snowing :)

Reaction score
Yeah im in the same situation! managed to get a few xmas bits fitted but still havent mounted the boost controller! lol

I hope it goes soon so we can get to work!

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
well i've been spending most days when i have got spare time to board out my garage and finish the electrics and insulating so i can get the car in there. once thats sorted the weather will never be a problem again :cool:

Reaction score
Oh mate, that's awesome! I wish I could do that in my garrage but my dad keeps his car in there :(

Reaction score
I've been really busy lately so I havent had a go but I will let you know when I do! :thumbs: Dean will probably beat me too it though! :)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i been busy too i'm afraid....but i have looked into the wiring side of it and am trying to figure out a way. basically the fto mirror switch (that my wiring drawing was based on) is a momentary switch which returns to a centre position when pressed - therefore something momentary like the doors locking can be wired to trigger the mirrors to close. on the s15 the switch is fixed position and i'm trying to think of a way to trigger (via central locking pulse) and then hold a voltage to the mirrors long enough for them to close fully otherwise when you lock the car they will only move a little and not complete the move - perhaps a 5 second capacitor if there is such a thing, or a slow to release relay but 5 seconds is the amount of time it takes for the mirrors to close completely and leaves a bit of room too :)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
If you want to send me the info you have I can have a look at if for you. (including wiring diagrams) You say you need it to be powered for about 5 secs? It shouldn't be a problem.