What's new

folding mirrors when locking the car

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Anything is possible. It just depends on how long you will wait for it. Adding the windows up feature will obviously cost more. As I said, send me the info and I will look into it.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
ok i'll try and rustle up a drawing in paint but havent actually taken the door apart on the s15 yet to look at wiring colours.....the drawing as said is for an fto mirror setup but the principle is near on exactly the same with the exception of needing a hold up capacitor or slugged relay :)

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
np. I have sent you a pm Dean.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
There's an auto-close circuit you can buy from Nissan Japan which will do this. I had one, got the fitting instructions translated only to find that you needed some electrical experience to work out which wires to splice into. Never got around to it. Evilchap inherited my kit. If you ask, he may sell it to you :)

For anyone else interested:
B5570-85F00 - CONT -MIRROR CLOSE

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
well there you go. I have learnt something new today. Now all I have to do is see if Nissan AU in there infinite wisdom removed the wiring for the mirror fold circuit.

I will still have a look at this project if people want. I have all the information, I just have to sit down and work out the circuit.

Reaction score
Country
Same sounds very cool!! I need to replace the power fold motor on the passenger side as sometimes it wont fold all the way in. Ive seen your guide to doing that Nicely :thumbs:

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Now here comes the problem. I have an ADM and hence no folding mirrors :(. The wiring diagrams I have are for the ADM too, so I can't just have a look at the car. If someone was able to work out the wiring in the control panel and take some pictures for me, it will be a big help. From Nicely's guide, I know that the pink and orange wires go to the fold motor. Any more info would be great. If someone has the JDM wiring diagrams, that would be the best solution. Other than that, if someone that lives in Sydney with a JDM will meet up with me so I can have a look first hand.

Reaction score
I can try and have a look tomorrow, if I do il take some pics and put them up, anything you want to see specifically?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Thanks C1TPT, it would be much appreciated.

I need a pic of the plug going into the back of the mirror control module (the one in the door armrest with the window switches in it) so I can make out the colours and their position in the plug. It would be nice if I could get a pic of inside the control module and see both sides of the circuit board too. I can understand if you don't want to open it.

Has anyone ever seen a copy of the JDM wiring diagram? Perhaps the NZDM manual may have it if there is such a thing.

EDIT: Also I need to know if the fold switch is a 2 postion (open/close) or a 3 position (open/off/close)

Reaction score
ok ill do my best, not sure about inside the module but ill have a look. the standard switch is 3 way, one closes them the other opens them and one is redundant, i assume for the auto close!?

Reaction score
Here you go mate, I had a go at taking the module apart but it wasnt very happy about it! :( lol

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
thanks for the pics. It seems that I didn't get screwed by nissan this time. It looks like my car has the wiring in the doors :D Now I have to find myself the control switch and a set of mirrors. I have spoken to a mate of mine who is willing to test the circuit when it is complete. I may have to get a closer look at his car tho to get some more info on how the cct works unless someone can come up with the internal workings of the switch assembly.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
To all who are following this thread.

Work has yet to begin on this project due to the fact that it is very difficult to work out a circuit by guessing. So I have decided that I will buy the power fold motors and the correct mirror control panel. As soon as I get these, I will start. If someone would like to donate these parts It would be much apprecated and you would be looked after when the circuit is made ;)

That being said, I had a though about adding a few extra options. I could make a microcontroller circuit to do the following

1) auto mirror fold (duh! that is what this thread is about)
2) passenger mirror dip (down movement) when reverse gear selected. Great for reverse parking so you don't hit the gutter.
3) auto window up on door lock (suggested by blacks15)
4) auto sunroof close on door lock (if you have one)

If no one is interested in all of these options I will just make it for myself and I will still make the stand alone fold circuit. If there is interest in an all in one option, I am sure the whole thing wouldn't be that expensive to make up.

Reaction score
i been busy too i'm afraid....but i have looked into the wiring side of it and am trying to figure out a way. basically the fto mirror switch (that my wiring drawing was based on) is a momentary switch which returns to a centre position when pressed - therefore something momentary like the doors locking can be wired to trigger the mirrors to close. on the s15 the switch is fixed position and i'm trying to think of a way to trigger (via central locking pulse) and then hold a voltage to the mirrors long enough for them to close fully otherwise when you lock the car they will only move a little and not complete the move - perhaps a 5 second capacitor if there is such a thing, or a slow to release relay but 5 seconds is the amount of time it takes for the mirrors to close completely and leaves a bit of room too :)
I'll be able to make up a circuit that can switch 12V for 5 seconds if you need me to mate :thumbs: I might need some info on the central locking pulse though.

What happens if the mirrors are already folded when you apply the signal for 5 seconds though? I imagine it wouldn't do any harm.

EDIT: I should really read the whole thread before posting!

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
with the little circuit i have, provided the mirror switch remains in the middle position, this cant happen. as the unlock pulse will undo the mirror and the lock pulse close it. when you are in the car with the ignition on, if you lock the car to save getting 'carjacked' then you can simply push the switch to open on the control console then when you unlock the doors to get out everything relay wise is in correspondence with the state of the mirrors to start again. i'm not sure of the effect of having voltage on the mirrors once they are fully closed or open, but i'd suspect that the contact bands in the mirror itself are designed to break once it reaches its fully closed position to avoid over driving and the open band will then be made ready to have voltage applied to drive the other way and vice versa. this would be the logical design ;)

Reaction score
I would probably be interested in 1, 2 and 3. With 1 and 3 being the most important!

Medler could you not do a quick how to so we can make our own rather than having you do it all? lol

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I could, but if I make the fully optioned circuit, it would more than likely involve a micrcontroller which would include programming it. You need a certain amount of knowledge to put it all together and obviously it takes time. I would have to purchase all the items and make a circuit board. Unfortunately this would cost money. My thought is that I would donate some of this money to the S15OC forums to help Nicely keep them running.

If I just do the auto fold circuit it will be done with relays and of course I will provide the infromation so you would be able to do it yourself.

Reaction score
1 and 3 if possible mate - i dont have a sunroof unfortunately and i leave the passenger mirror dipped all the time for parking :)

really appreciate your work!

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
thanks, but the work hasn't started yet.....

The sunroof thing was for me really. All of these features will be able to be deactivated as required.