What's new

folding mirrors when locking the car

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
it would be time based, which would be adjustable depending on how far you wanted it to move. It would be nice to have position feedback, but it would make it more complicated and expensive.

Reaction score
wouldnt think the motor has an encoder feedback anyhow, will the mirrors tilt inwards as well as down.
Fairplay on the work done so far..

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
If you are talking about when you select reverse, no, but it could be done.

A

Al3c

Sorry for not keeping this updated but I'm currently having to move to Hungary with work so I've had quite a hectic last few weeks. I haven't forgot about this project though, don't worry :).

I have built, what is hopefully the last, perfected circuit that uses a current sensing resistor to monitor the motor to detect it stalling. At the moment this is used for folding of the mirrors.

Just wondering how u work the angle of the mirror when it dips for reverse.
Dose the motor have an encoder feed back ??? or is it done on a time base .15ms down and .5ms tilt in. Or am i way off, just wondering out of curiosity is all.
Well, in the simplest way...the PIC outputs to a sub circuit that starts sending the mirrors down. In the same instance, a timer is started within the PIC. Using another version of the above circuit, the PIC detects when the motors stalls. At this point the mirrors are down and the timer is stopped. When returning to its original position, the PIC uses the original value from the 1st timer and starts a new one that increments until it equals the previous one and the motor stops. This method of course is not 100% accurate but it does work for what we are after and a recent test showed it returning to near enough its original position. :)

I will get some pics up next week and will sort out a quick video soon to show its operation.

I haven't included the automatic rear wiper yet, but to be honest, this is simple. I think the hardest part is complete.

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
by the way guys if any of yous want a pair of mirrors to tinker with without taking your own ones off I have my set for sale as I have Ganador ones for my s15 :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
mr meddler, did you ever get anywhere with this?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
yes I did actually. I had a prototype running on the bench but never fitted it to the car. Maybe I should dust it off and get it finished.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Unfotunately , life has got in my way. I actually looked at putting the window switch pack apart this afternoon. I did get some spare bits and pieces to make up a prototype, but I just have to get the time to put it all together. I may get some time in the next week or two seeing it is supposed to be raining for the next week.