What's new

wideband lamba placement in downpipe

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
hey all - need some input, i have got myself an aem uego wideband setup for mega cheap and wondered roughly where everyone had put thier sensor.....i was thinking in the downpipe somewhere near to the bracket that secures it to the box as being far enough from the tubby outlet but not too far.....also i have an egt gauge to install and thought that this would be better right at the front end of the downpipe just below the turbo elbow - i dont want to drill and tap the manifold due to the possibility of weakening it.....any help appreciated:)

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
i've got my wideband bung in the front piping section BEFORE the cat, and i've got a front pipe that's got the bung just before the flange that connects to the cat. both are basically the same placement :)

egt sensor should be as close to the exhaust ports as possible, just after the flange of the front pipe would be too far away imho :) drilling and tapping the standard manifold shouldn't cause any problems or if you've got an aftermarket manifold you can weld a bung onto that

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
drilling the manifold is a no no as metal filings will fall down into the turbo....and i dont want to go the hassle of removing it to fit. i didnt mean the end of the downpipe i mean just below the turbo elbow - this is as close to the exhaust port as i'll be able to get. egt's shouldnt have changed significantly between the manifold and the turbo outlet surely?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
yep - i'm definitely gonna fit that just before the cat on the downpipe to save any extra hassle in removal mot time....and i guess the egt gauge will have to be as near the turbo as poss as it cant be any further upstream due to the hassles involved:)

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
The ideal spot is just after the ports but that's up to you to decide if you want to go to the trouble / is it worth the gain - the real question it boils down to is what are you going to use it for?

And I would've assume you'd remove the manifold and turbo before drilling/tapping/welding/whatever and hence not have swarfs of metal floating around inside

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
removing the downpipe will only take me 20 minutes and i can re-use the gaskets so fitting there would be easy, removing the tubular manifold and turbo would take much longer and need new gaskets at a cost of about 40-00....the gauge will be for indication only, its because some time ago i had a timing/knock issue and the most obvious syptom (had i noticed it) was a massive rise in egt's, with an egt gauge i would know of any significant change early on. basically eventually i'm going for a stand alone ecu if the v8 money never materialises and each of these gauges will come into thier own when trying to get everything spot on perfect with the tune. the most important safety wise being the wideband afr and the egt's, the rest of the gauges will obviously alert me to any running temp issues or lack of oil pressure. basically this is the last gauge i'm installing to round everything off nicely.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
if you want the best location then it's just after the ports, one on each but that's a bit too much... and it looks like you already made up your mind even before starting this thread?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i know ideally for a single gauge sensor it should be in the collector, but after starting this thread, but the more i thought about it the more obvious it became that i have to really put it in the downpipe to avoid a heap of hassle, i just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were but as you say, the question has answered itself:)

Reaction score
Country
Rather than starting another topic- I'm going to fit an AEM ugeo in place of my boost gauge and, as Dean has,the downpipe is going to be the location of the sensor.
However i have no idea how i would get the wiring from the sensor into the passenger cabin. Is there a bung or grommet or anything to put the wire and plug through?

Had a search on google and a thread on a supra forum come up- they have a grommet.

And this seems reasonably priced if anyone else fancies one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AEM-GAUGE-6-i...2651c911f0a0aad3242ae4ff874900#ht_3909wt_1141

:)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
the sensor has to be on the gearbox side of the downpipe as would hit on the chassis rail the other side...this way i had the wiring strapped to the gearbox mount and the fuel lines up to the drivers inner wing....other option is to feed it up through the gear gaiter rubber - easier but not necesarily better :)