What's new

coilpack issue? help

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I'm having an issue with my coilpacks. The car wasn't running well and miss firing, it all pointed to the spark plugs/coilpacks. We took the harness off to take a look, noticed a bad earth so re did that, checked all the coils and plugs, put it all back together, and now it won't even start (when it did before).

We have do some checks and we can get the plugs to fire fine if we run a 12 volt feed from the battery, but from the harness we are getting 36 volts, so that's making the plugs fire very faintly.

So anyone know why I'm getting 36 volts from the harness and even if that's right or wrong. Also I have spitfire coilpacks

thanks

Last edited:

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Anyone? I need to know why I'm getting 36 volts from the harness? as I think it should just be 12 volts..

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Anyone not had this issue before? can anyone give me some idea's what I should be checking please...

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
The battery is fine. Like I say, if we run a feed from the battery 12v to the coilpacks its fine. But when its going via the harness I'm getting 36v. The voltage is getting boosted up from somewhere between the battery and the coilpacks going via the harness?

sx-si

Reaction score
yes but it goes via the ecu / immobialisor so if the ecu isnt happy it wont give it enough spark to fire

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
would the ECU control the voltage though? won't of though the ECU would be able to boost a 12v feed to a 36v? if it can then ok, any idea's on what to do with it? I have an Apexi ECU so hope its not knackered :(

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Graham at DCMS has solved it, he had to trace all the wires back and found 2 dodgy earths at the back of the engine and another blown fuse. Looks like it wasn't installed very well..

Big thanks do DCMS (best place to take a S15 to in the North West) :thumbs:

Reaction score
glad you got it sorted dude!

now hope i can get my little problem fixed ;)