What's new

new speakers.

B

barnes

right.. i fitted a sub and amp last week.. perfect.. working fine... then i go to put in 6x9 speakers.. they dont fit... so i made them fit.... :annoyed::annoyed: ... so everytime i go over a ramp or anything they cut out all the speakers... to get them working again.. all i have to do is pull up the boot card behind the back seats and put it back down.. works fine till i go over a ramp or bump.. off it goes again.. i first thought it was loose connections but i checked them again... any chance cos its hitting off metal this is happening??

any help is appreciated.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Check to see if the amp is still on. It could either be a loose / bad ground or your speaker wires shorting out causing the amplifier to go into protection mode.

B

barnes

yeah the amp stays on.. all speakers get cut.. But the sub and amp stay on!! if i hold the boot card thing in the air the speakers stay on not a bother.. can shake them and they dont cut out.. its only when i lay it back under the window when it gets affected.

S

StarletRick

throw the 6x9s in the bin and buy some proper coax speakers for the rear that fit in the shelf.

E

ecksjay

so, they don't fit then. :rolleyes:

6x9's are ****, get some that actually fit correctly. they'll also sound much better if you're amplifying them, as 6x9's are usually piss poor quality.

Reaction score
get some of these I have them fitted in the rear they sound fookin awsom

:thumbs:
Infinity Kappa 652.7i

6-3/4" 2-way car speakers

Also these speakers are true component speakers with a seperate crossover for each one, just all in one tidy unit:thumbs:

Last edited:

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Guys,

Irrevelent of what speakers are fitted, he has a problem. Let's try to fix the problem rather than be negative about 6x9"s.

If you wish to discuss different types of speakers and their advantages / disadvantages start a new thread.

Reaction score
Guys,

Irrevelent of what speakers are fitted, he has a problem. Let's try to fix the problem rather than be negative about 6x9"s.

If you wish to discuss different types of speakers and their advantages / disadvantages start a new thread.
Maybe its because the 6x9's dont fit properly that he has the problem, giving him advise about what speakers to fit may solve the problem. I am not talkin about the advantages of the infinity speakers above just that I have them and have no problem with them.

S

StarletRick

yeah, were not being negative. but it is a bit of square peg-round hole fitting 6x9s.

coax will sound better anyway. so were giving good advice ^^;

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I personally would never fit 6x9's to my car either for all the reason stated above, but changing the speakers may not be an option for him. It seemed as tho the OP was being bagged for fitting them, hence my post.

Reaction score
No I dont think anyone on here is baggin him just sound advice being given.
Barnes if you cant get a new setup and have to stick with the 6x9's try opening out the hole in the metal shelf so they are completely clear of anything metal that may interfere with the speakers and if possible make a rubber gasket for them to sit on,worth a try:D

S

StarletRick

dont open the shelf up.

you can get adapters to fit 6x9s in round holes. they are for doors, but im sure they can be made to fit in a shelf.

might be a bit of a bodge, but would be alot better than how youve probably got them now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6x9-...4f03c89QQitemZ310125804681QQptZCarQ5fSpeakers

hope this helps you, but i would still strongly recommend binning the 6x9s and getting some good coaxal 16.5cm speakers.

if you want some help sorting out your stereo properly and affordably. PM Ecksjay, hes good with audio stuff.

Last edited:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
its probably a wiring issue, some sort of connection problem. it really doesnt matter what speakers you have fitted - round, square, oval, 50w, 100w, 6", 6x9".....if the amp isnt going into protect mode and you are losing sound from all speakers powered by it then i'd check on the rca leads to the amp first. if this is fine look for any shorts in the speaker wiring and make sure all the connections are good at the amp, speakers, earth point and the acc connection point behind the headunit. unless one of the actual components in the system (amp, speakers, output channel on the headunit etc) is duff then it has to be a wiring issue thats being disturbed when you go over bumps.....

Reaction score
its probably a wiring issue, some sort of connection problem. it really doesnt matter what speakers you have fitted - round, square, oval, 50w, 100w, 6", 6x9".....if the amp isnt going into protect mode and you are losing sound from all speakers powered by it then i'd check on the rca leads to the amp first. if this is fine look for any shorts in the speaker wiring and make sure all the connections are good at the amp, speakers, earth point and the acc connection point behind the headunit. unless one of the actual components in the system (amp, speakers, output channel on the headunit etc) is duff then it has to be a wiring issue thats being disturbed when you go over bumps.....
He says in his second quote that he has shaken them and they dont go off, i dont think its a wiring issue at least not at the speakers anyway maybe at the amp end. They could be faulty units and shorting to the magnet cage which in turn shorts to the car body when he goes over bumps. I still think a rubber gasket(thick rubber) maybe a good first point of call as its cheap and easy to do and will have some insulating properties

S

StarletRick

they would fit, screw the adapter to the underside of the shelf. then the speakers into the adapter. its all flat under there so you have the space to do it.

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Check to see if the amp is still on. It could either be a loose / bad ground or your speaker wires shorting out causing the amplifier to go into protection mode.
^^^ what he says!! could it be that with the boot open everything is fine. but with the boot closed, the metal bar that swings down under the parcel shelf (part of the boot tailgate springloading) is connecting with the +ve/-ve of one or both of the speakers and grounding them, hence the amp is cutting everything and going into protection..

Try wrapping a load of insulation tape around the spade connectors you are using (and the wires that you can normally see running from the speaker connectors to the cones) and see if it happens again??

If not check all the amp connections too...