What's new

s15 airbag light

J

jkien

hey guys,

recently i have installing my boss kit and nardi steering wheel. i think i broke something but im not too sure. basically the first time i installed it, i was pushing it against the black bit where the horn and airbag cable coming out. then when i fit it, turned the car on. the airbag light was flashing. i was think oh man my airbag boss kit didnt work. so i try to put the stock one back on, plugged everything and it still happening.

the airbag light still flashing, what do i do ??

Reaction score
Disconnect the battery terminal, then plug your airbag plug in while the power is diconnected.
Reconnect the battery
and try this

turn off your car.
turn the key to ignition on but don't start the car.
within 7seconds press the door light grommet 5 times
turn off the car
repeat this proccess 2 to 3 times

J

jkien

thanks for that. i will try that later today.
but also my horn doesnt work now. wtf.
i placed the stock steering wheel and my horn doesnt work.

can we replace the cable that is coming out coz i think i break it somehow :no:

Reaction score
I tink you may have snapped the spiral cable that is positioned behind the wheel and air bag. It has a ribbon cable that allows both the air bag and horn button to work. See if your horn is working if not then it's the spiral cable.

J

jkien

thanks for the help,

my airbag wasnt working before but my horn was. today my horn and airbag is not working. i dont think its the spiral cable coz i didnt move it.

STRESSING OUT :annoyed:

Reaction score
I can guarantee it's the spiral cable. I had the same problem, I removed the steering column and forgot to lock my steering wheel before moving it, then some crackhead put the key in the ignition and turned the crap out of the steering, afterwich only the horn worked. Then after I made a full lock my horn stopped working. The way it works is that the spiral cable has to be centered evenly for both left and right lock. I suggest that the spiral cable be removed and locked all to one direction and then count the amount of revolutions to make it to full lock the next way, then divide by two to get a good indicator as to where the center of the wheel should be. I suggest you tape the spiral unit once you've found the center then have it installed. I have scrapped my old spiral cable unit and saw that it is a ribbon cable wound inside and allows only for a certain amount of motion in either direction afterwich it snaps.

I know for sure yours is busted so both your air bag and horn are not working. I have also confirmed as I have used it that the N16 almera air bag is identical and is what I used to replace mine. Please ensure to follow the steps I outlined above when installing the replacement otherwise it won't be happy times. The spiral cable is located behind the steering wheel, the wheel has two star type bolts that are unique, please ensure you disconnect the battery and also disconnect the air bag unit connection in the steering wheel before removign the wheel and there you will see the yellow and black spiral cable unit that has four srews holding it to the steering column. Let me know when you get through. Any questions please feel free to ask.

D

dave_s15

^^^ agreed. i had the problem when i had a wheel balance and alignment done and they removed the steering wheel.

solution - ignore it! haha. had to take it in once to get it to stop flashing and cost me 50 bucks just to plug in the diagnostic and turn the light off so this time i have just ignored it. lol.

J

jkien

I can guarantee it's the spiral cable. I had the same problem, I removed the steering column and forgot to lock my steering wheel before moving it, then some crackhead put the key in the ignition and turned the crap out of the steering, afterwich only the horn worked. Then after I made a full lock my horn stopped working. The way it works is that the spiral cable has to be centered evenly for both left and right lock. I suggest that the spiral cable be removed and locked all to one direction and then count the amount of revolutions to make it to full lock the next way, then divide by two to get a good indicator as to where the center of the wheel should be. I suggest you tape the spiral unit once you've found the center then have it installed. I have scrapped my old spiral cable unit and saw that it is a ribbon cable wound inside and allows only for a certain amount of motion in either direction afterwich it snaps.

I know for sure yours is busted so both your air bag and horn are not working. I have also confirmed as I have used it that the N16 almera air bag is identical and is what I used to replace mine. Please ensure to follow the steps I outlined above when installing the replacement otherwise it won't be happy times. The spiral cable is located behind the steering wheel, the wheel has two star type bolts that are unique, please ensure you disconnect the battery and also disconnect the air bag unit connection in the steering wheel before removign the wheel and there you will see the yellow and black spiral cable unit that has four srews holding it to the steering column. Let me know when you get through. Any questions please feel free to ask.
far it out.... thanks for that, that help me understand it really well. your hektic TriniGT. i try to find the center when i get home, beside that thanks alot.

before i replace the spiral cable im going to get if my one still working. last night i spin it clock ways and it doesnt seem to stop but when i spin it anti clock ways, its like 2.5 clicks. so im not too sure how i can find the centre.

J

jkien

i have called up nissan spare parts and it cost $278 to replace it.

does anyone know anywhere i can get it cheaper ??

Reaction score
It funny jkien, that you went to Silvia NSW with the same questions and got exactly the same answers as you got from this site.

There are a lot of people here who know far more then you, and are prepaird to give informed answers to your questions.

If you don't trust our help, your in the wrong place

Reaction score
Don't know if you can go to a local yard and get one from an N16 nissan almera. I would suggest you remove it and carry it as the S14 jacks are different.

J

jkien

thanks.

i didnt say i dont trust you guys, it is a forum. forum is not always 100% right so asking the same question to more people, you can get the correct answer.

if you know what i mean.

i appreciate everyones help. :wave: