What's new

What is the size of Factory Battery?

G

gunner93

Hey, Anybody knows what is the original battery size and spec for Spec-R S15? Mine came with a tiny NS40 size with 335 cold cranking amps. I'm planning to relocate my battery to the rear trunk as it was claimed will double the life span due to lesser heat. While I am at it, I was thinking to put back factory size battery to optimise charging by the alternator. Make sense? :confused:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Hey, Anybody knows what is the original battery size and spec for Spec-R S15? Mine came with a tiny NS40 size with 335 cold cranking amps. I'm planning to relocate my battery to the rear trunk as it was claimed will double the life span due to lesser heat. While I am at it, I was thinking to put back factory size battery to optimise charging by the alternator. Make sense? :confused:
I have never heard of such nonsense as having a smaller battery to reduce heat and extend the lifespan. Usually if you have a smaller battery, it has to work harder to start your car. Now, if you take excessive charge out of your battery when starting due to the battery being too small. The alternator then has to charge it back up. If the charging is excessive, it can boil off the electrolyte, which is bad. Just talk to the guys with FMIC's that use a small odessey battery and have to replace them every 12 months.

My personal opinion, at least have a battery of the original recommended size. If you are putting a battery in the trunk, remember to use good thick cables and IMHO you should use a larger battery as well.

The recommended battery size is an NS60S.

Link: http://www.batteryworld.com.au/asp/...cletype=1219&make=1050&model=13681&year=14891

G

gunner93

Just what I need to know the original size = NS60S. Thanks. Mine already came with the smaller battery NS40 to accomodate the cold pipe into the intake plenum. As mine, (AC Delco) is already 3 years old, I'm afraid it will die off any moment. Since I'm replacing a new one, I might as well buy back the original size and relocate to the trunk for longevity and shift a bit of weight to the back, some 12kg so it seems.

Last edited:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I have seen batteries last up to 7 years if treated properly, but seeing as though your one is smaller than recommended, it's probably best to get a larger one.