What's new

Mystery black box?

Reaction score
I've taken a pic of my ECU but it wont upload to my laptop off that SD card for some reason, it wont pick it up so gonna retake it on another memory card when I have time because I need some help and advice on what the unit is.

It's sort of a black box bolted on top of the ECU. I have a couple of ideas what it could be but its the sheer amount of wiring that's confusing me. It's a big black box maybe half to two thirds the size of the ecu from memory with just a few small white printed numbers on it, probably just a part or reference number. I haven't removed it from the car but looking at it I can find no indication of manufacturer or if its OE but it has a large white T on it printed in a way that looks identical to the printing that was on the Nismo engine mounts (I know that's a random thing to mention) but it suggests to me it could potentially be something standard fit from Nissan like maybe an airbag module but at the same time the harness is fairly hefty so I'm a little unsure

Either that or it could be something relating to the speedo conversion from km to mph. My last two stabs in the dark at what it is are either that it's alarm related for the clifford (although there is a box under my centre console for the clifford but that could be a microwave sensor rather than a control module) or lastly, longshot but possible and would explain the number of wires, it could be some form of piggy back ECU. It has two connector blocks on it, not just one but a whole mass of wires... I can't decide if its part of the original loom running to it or not but its taped into the main loom and looks to be an important bit of kit whatever it is!

I have noticed quite a few scotch locks floating about in wiring here and there, looks to be an alright job though, its not butchered. Intrigued to say the least although the two may be unrelated as the scotch locks could be relating to the speedo conversion!

In simple terms, can anyone tell me... What is it? do all 15's have this black box? Is it alarm related? A piggy back system? Airbag module? Something else?

Cheers guys

W

wookieballa

mine has it too.. dunno what it is either. i will tell you that mine doesnt have an alarm, or keyless entry that i know of.. i just stick my key in the lock and open the door...