What's new

No spark, wont start

J

jhinchy

Hi All,
I replaced an engine in a S15 sr20det, got it all back together late last night, but it wont start. It has no spark for some reason:down:
There is power coming to the coils, and they are earthing ok, but the switching pulse isnt there. Any pointers of what it could be. Everything seems to be connected up ok.
The car was running a H-Dev stage 3a, with Z32 afm, but we have switched back to the standard ECU, but still have z32 connected. I assume that that should not prevent the spark.
Anybody have any ideas of what to check next?

S

StarletRick

what engine was it you put in?

i know the s14 coilpacks are different to the s15 in how they fire.

if youre using 14 coilpacks, that could be the issue. try it with some 15 ones.

J

jhinchy

Replaced an S15 engine with another s15 engine. Kept all the wiring and coils from the original engine,. Just the bare engine was changed

J

jhinchy

Fuses all ok,
I have checked all the wiring, everything is fine. Wiring from ecu to coils are ok, wiring from CAS to ecu is ok,
CAS and coils both have power and earth,

injectors are getting a pulse, but coils are not. I have tried 2 nissan ecu's and one power FC, and none of them are giving a spark. I am at a dead end.
Car drove in on 3 cylinders (hole in piston). One engine was removed, and replaced with another, and now there is no spark whatsoever.

Car is due to get mapped on thursday!!!

W

way2fastforu

did u check the timin is rite on the camshaft sensor??my s13 wouldn start before wen i put the head back onto it an put the sensor back in out of time by mistake

C

ciutchkick

i'm having the same problem i put the engine in my s14 and i am not getting spark. hope you figure out and share your findings.. i'll do the same. s15 engines and parts are very hard to come by here where i live. so i pretty much have to purchase everything just to test parts to see wats not working.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
The car was running a H-Dev stage 3a, with Z32 afm, but we have switched back to the standard ECU, but still have z32 connected

My bet that is your problem

J

jhinchy

Tried standard ecu, power fc, and stage 3a ecu also, and still the same.
Done a diagnostic check and got trouble code 21,
Il have another look at it over the weekend :thumbs:

J

jhinchy

Got the car started tonight, very strange problem, i still havnt got an explanation for it:confused:

I downloaded the workshop manual from this site, which made life an awful lot easier, and took the guesswork out of it:nod:
with the ignition turned on, The coils had 12v, they all had a good earth, and they were all getting a signal of 1-2v when the cam sensor was turning(primary circuit) so it should have been sparking. the injectors were working etc.
I followed the checking procedures in the manual, and they all drew a blank. I was begining to run out of ideas, and the batteries in the multi-meter were suffering:rotfl:

I decided to check what was happening at the coils when the starter was engaged, incase they 12v was dropping off, but the opposite was happening.!!
As soon as the key turned to the start position, the voltage jumped to 32-36 volts!!! i thought that was a bit unusual, as the wiring diagram showed it as a 12v source from battery, through a couple of fuses and a relay, so where was the jump in voltage coming from?
I disconnected the orginal feed to the coils and condenser and ran a fresh 12v feed from the battery.
Hey presto, spark returned and the engine fired up:thumbs::thumbs:

Where the hell did the mega voltage come from:confused:
I must trace the loom tomorrow to find out whats happening, but at least the car is up and running. Strangest problem i have seen in a long time:hurl:

Reaction score
Country
That sounds interesting as I have same problem acutally. No spark...
What is this condenser? Can´t find it in my wiring!
What is it good for?