What's new

Blocking Center Vents with Defis - Future Problems???

Reaction score
Using these pics for reference,

I have a question regarding the gauges being installed in the center vents. I am thinking that the cold air will be hitting the back of the gauges, will that have any effects? I want to install my gauges likewise but I may just make a modification actually eliminating the route of the A/C behind to just run to the two side vents. Has anyone done this as I am thinking that the constant cold air behind them may get moisture in the connections and may short something.

Jason.

Last edited:

subzero

Reaction score
i was worried bout the other end of the scale, in ireland it aint often we need cold air commign into the car :rotfl: , i was worried about full hot frying the gauges ....

ive just resorted to leaving the air on windscreen and feet setting all the time.

Reaction score
Hmmm well my car is currently scrapped down to wiring so I will look under the dash and see what there is and make the adjustment to block the three vents, this is not a daily anyway, RB26DETT powered weekend warrior :D.

G

GUEST_JDM

I wouldn't worry man blocking the vent would be a good idea tho, im a sparky by trade and if you see what cable and electrical equipment takes out in the feild you really have nothing to worry about water is the biggest problem like condensation but the heater isn't like 90 degrees so its not going to melt v90 rated cable...

Reaction score
No i didnt block the vents at all but i insulated the rear of the gauges with a fabric tape, doubt it has any effect on them anyhow

S

silviac

Just noticed that gauge has thunder mark inside?? I doubt it's designed for s15... cool custom but wonder how...

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
mine have been installed in the vents for 5-6 years now without blocking anything behind it. I haven't had any issues.
as has mine - dont know how many years but 2 in my owner ship with zero problems, and i live in scotland! So you can imagine how hot the inside of my cabin gets ;) hehe

Reaction score
Country
If you are really worried, just stuff some stockings behind the gauges...

The previous owner of my car is pretty creative though, he installed the gauges onto the vents, and he used silicon on the other end of the vents to stop air from reaching the gauges

T

Trepidge

Yup there me stri gauges alrite, dsd-slm II is the model, how they got away with using an identical silvia logo i don't know but it looks great in the car :p, very good accurate gauges too, top quality and all fit perfect including the one in the boost holder, would recommend them

Reaction score
i am a total noob to this, but how exactly are the gauges installed into the vents? and what size are they? any info or links would be highly appreciated.

Reaction score
60mm and they squeeze in ;). youll have to trim the boost pod tho to get a 60mm one in there but its really not alot of work