What's new

The Never ending Indicator problem!

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Morning lads.

Last year my indicator's stopped working all together, No hazards or nout. I took the car to many a garage / sparky alas no Joy. No one could figure out what the damm problem was.

I got an auto sparky to wire up the stalk so they would come on USDM sidelight style so i could at leask "Fake Blink" for turning.

Just before the MOT last week I got said same auto sparky to remove the wire he installed before and install a new flasher combination unit to the car. Worked magic! First time i had them working for over a year and a bit! No probs.

However.. on saturday after going over several speed bumps at the ex's house (damm her taking me on that crap road!) They stopped working :(
No hazards or nout! Checked the wires and the fuses and nothing seems broken or anything.

Its a pain tho, Going to take a further look this afternoon after i finish work and fix my front bumper due to a slight off last night (Also for the note the car hasnt been lowered before i get any comments on going over speed bumps ;) hehe )

Has anyone else has similar issues when it comes to the flasher box or anything remotly indicator wise that may be able to help??? Also, when locking the car with the cobra fob they flash on and off... just to tease me! ¬_¬'

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Strange. You changed the whole stalk unit? Could it be corrosion on the copper connections between the stalk and the steering column?

maybe somethin wrong with the hazard swith.
My indicators stops working on the Golf if the hazards are partially engaged. Not enough to set them of, but enough to make the indicators stop working. Have to pull the button up properly by hand to make them functional again.

M

Matt_S

The metal band on the steering column is only for the airbag. The stalks work wire hard wired connection.
I would say sounds like the Hazard Light Switch. If you remove this they wont work at all. So maybe if youve been playing about with the stereo etc you have dislodged it by mistake. Or made it loose enough so that it disengaged when you went down the bumpy road in your undriveable car.....

;) :p

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
lmao Cheers matt, Im going to check the Hazard switch and see what can be done.

When i turned onto the road i thought "awww daaaang" then relised.. "WAIT! Im rocking Stilt mode!" and off i trotted down the lane :) bump bump bump got to the end, wait.. why no indicators? god dammit!

;) 110% Drivable haha

M

Matt_S

Serioulsy tho, does everything else on the circuits supplied with power by the fuse for the Indictators still work? You may well have shorted a wire when it was low and popped a fuse.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
yeh this could be the case, Every other electric part in the car works perfect, apart from the driver electric window (The Auto function) to which for some reason it would always auto go down, but only sometimes go up on its own..

Also, now that you mention it, the window was working.. with no keys / power or turbo timer in.. thats not right huh? lol

Reaction score
I to would second the Hazard Light Switch.
If you have a multimeter check it for continuity to make sure the switch itself aint broke.
as for the "the window was working.. with no keys / power or turbo timer in"
Thats not right who installed your alarm they could have spliced the wrong cables bridging a 12v constant.

d.

Reaction score
i had the same thing a few months ago - plug had worked its way loose.
hasn't happened since i replaced my coilovers with s-tunes...
...Matt_S was right!

Sender

Reaction score
Country
another bit is loom in drivers front arch, this made me problems with my indicators :wave:

Reaction score
Country
I to would second the Hazard Light Switch.
If you have a multimeter check it for continuity to make sure the switch itself aint broke.
as for the "the window was working.. with no keys / power or turbo timer in"
Thats not right who installed your alarm they could have spliced the wrong cables bridging a 12v constant.
This is why forums are so good....a thread from 10 years ago, helped me today with the same issue. Turned out that I had forgotten to connect my hazard switch, as I'm near the end of a DIY body restoration project on my S15.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@p_spec_r
I got a similar issue if anyone can shed any light on it would be grateful.

My indicators stopped working a few weeks ago, but my hazards were working.

The next day I took the plastic around the steering column off and like magic the indicators started working again.

Haven't driven the car since because of work stuff, but took it out yesterday and the indicators stopped working while I was driving. But the hazards still work.

Changed the stalk this morning and no joy.

Could it be the flasher unit? I thought it was combined with the hazards so if one didn't work nor did the other?

I'm confused....help.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk