What's new

Almost ready for mapping..?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Hello everyone,

I'm nearly ready for Jez to map my S15 now, but have a few questions before I hand it over. My main goal is to have a smooth, reliable, and safe amount power and torque, rather than to achieve a certain BHP figure, but somthing around the 300 mark would be nice!

I've currently got a few mods to support the remap, but am unsure what else I may need or benefit from before mapping. (Breif list of current mods below)

Z32 AFM (Will splice the wires and fit when I get there though)
FMIC
Fuel pump (255 lph)
Apex filter
HKS exhaust (rearwards of turbo elbow)
Boost controller

So here come the questions!..

1. I'm currently running a Greddy Profec B boost controller. Would it be worth upgrading this to somthing like a HKS EVC, or a Apexi AVCR for smoother power delivery?

2. I'm running a Nismo fuel pump, but still on stock injectors. How far can you take the stock injectors before they reach their limit on 99 RON?

3. I'm still running the stock recirc valve, but have blocked the little hole off inside it to stop it leaking. Will this be ok for the remap?

4. Is it worth investing in a tubular manifold prior to the remap?

5. Spark plugs.. 1 or 2 grades cooler than stock? I've been looking at the NGK ones on the h-dev site.

Thanks in advance for the help

:)

M

Matt_S

Stock manifold can do 300bhp easy, and maintain some of the low end torque you lose with a tubular item.
Stock inj run out of puff at 300bhp too. The Nismo fuel pump? I dont know the flow rate of it, so cant comment. 190L/hr upwards should be OK, but Id hope its at least a 255, seeing as theyre only £80 delivered new (Walbro) :wack:
GReddy BC should be fine.
WHat exh is it exactly? ANd are you running a decat/frontpipe?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Cheers matt :) - (your pm box is full though!)

Yeah, the Nismo pump is 255L/h, and the exhaust is HKS downpipe, RSR Decat, and HKS Silent Hi Power mid/rear

So its not worth bothering with tubular mani or injectors for a smooth and safe figure around 300bhp? I wont be taking it any further power-wise after this..

Edit:
Any ideas on the plugs too Matt? I'm going to change them before the map, but dont know which grade to go for. Jez sells plugs 1 and 2 grades cooler than stock on his site, but I dont know which to go for. Maybe just 1 grade because I wont be running too much boost..?

Cheers mate :)

Last edited:
M

Matt_S

NGK grade 7 Iridiums will be more than adequate (IEX I think). We used them in mine, even though I bought 8s (std is 6) but Gary thought it better with the 7s as its a daily officially :)
Running a too colder plug isnt too good. They foul up easier and can cause misfire if you use it in a daily sense/sitting in traffic.

Reaction score
Country
Just for reference my injectors maxed out at 98% @ 1.25 Bar when Jez mapped it..obviously i dont run it that high as ive altered the boost setup since Jez set it. should be over 300BHP now though.

I changed to a Forge re-cric but ive heard the oem valve is fine for over 1 bar when modded.

Im using the same plugs that Matt just reccomended as well with no problems :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
if you are getting all that done then id get a bellmouth turbo elbow too as the standard one is pretty restrictive.....

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Cheers for all the advice here, its all very helpful indeed and definatly appreciated :)

Jez.. What have you done to combat the 98% demand on the injectors? Have you reduced the boost or changed injectors?

Dean.. How much will the elbow benifit me if i'm going to stay on the stock injectors and aim for somthing around 300bhp? I'm not planning on taking the power any further in the future either.

One other thing.. is it worth paying that bit extra for the map to be done on the rolling road?

Thanks again guys :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
there are 2 schools of thought on the mapping thing, some say rolling road is the way to get the best mapping done (which i wouldnt argue with, but its more expensive), others say that a car is run on the road and road mapping is a good way of setting the car up - under the conditions it will be used in. most cars i know of were road mapped, and mine was done recently and performs excellent with no det, so id say road mapping is perfectly adequate.

the elbow will mostly benefit spool i'd say, the standard one is a smaller bore and has some sort of lump sticking out into the gas flow path which i dont think will help at all. plus the fact they are cheap, if youre having the rest of the exhaust done you may as well fit that at the same time.

my standard injectors were also at a high duty when i had my first remap done, i had the same setup as jez8553 apart from no z32 afm and though i didnt get a chance to have it rr'd, jez from h-dev reckoned on circa 300bhp with the setup. one thing i will say, the difference was immense and very good value for money:nod: afm and injectors were out of thier comfort zone, but unless something fails (injectors mainly) then you're ok.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You should be fine with what you've got for 300. The stock mani doesn't actually start getting restrictive until the HIGH 300s (shock horror). I'd agree with the elbow change though. Injectors should be OK too. Jez will tell you if they are running too high.

Anyone who has been out for a mapping sessionm with Jez will tell you its the best kind of mapping. An RR simply can't simulate how the engine behaves out on the road. And with his det headphones on, Jez will stop a run immediately if he hears any, adjust the map and go again. TBH, he has enough S15 map profiles now to apply a baseline and simply tweak it. :)

If you've got any specific mapping questions, just ask him on his thread: *** Horsham Developments - ECU mapping ***

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Thanks for all the input again guys, the advise is brilliant :)

I've already got the exhaust system on the car, but if its going to be worth adding a decent elbow before the map, then I will do it, especially if it will help me get a nice smooth power delivery.

What elbows would you recommend?

Another thing.. I havent yet bought the Z32 afm, but just assumed I would need one.. what gains would it bring by having one at 300ish? - (if any..?) I dont want to take the power any further in the future, so will it be needed?

Thanks again :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Elbow is down to you.

A different AFM won't give you any gain at all. It is there simply to let the engine know how much air it needs. At 300bhp, the standard one should be OK. It starts maxing at some point between 300-320bhp.

Reaction score
Country
the 98% was at 1.25 bar at the very peak revs. Ive limited the max boost to about 1.19 Bar which is still over the 80% duty cycle many people reccomend on here, however Jez was happy with it running at this level and the fueling was spot on which was confirmed at my last RR.

If an injector fails (which i have never heard of an OEM or Nismo one doing ?) then it makes no difference what your current max duty cycle is, i would guess that many people stick at no more than 80% as this means that the injectors arent as stressed if running at 95% for example (which could attribute to a failure if this ever would occur).

I stuck a Z32 AFM in mine simply because i managed to get hold of one at a good price and the air flow restriction of the OEM AFM is quite big imo. Although this doesnt seem to be the norm it does mean the limiting factor is your injector output alone and not the AFM.

As already said get a better elbow as this will allow better turbo spool especially when running higher boost. Im going to change my mani when i change all my turbo oil and water pipes simply because its a job saved for the furture.

Jez has my map as a base setting for this setup now anyway as i was the first S15 he has mapped with full stage 1 mods but on standard injectors.

Edit - I have a full list of my mods on my car thread...

http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?t=3310

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
80% duty is the industry recommendation.

People stated to me that the Nissan injectors are capable of running higher than that happily and that they didn't know of any that had failed. However, I felt happier running a lower duty on bigger injectors and have room for expansion, than running a higher duty on standard injectors and have no room for error. That was why I went for 740s. Overkill you might say, but as they were the same price as 555s, I like to think it was a no brainer. Would you take an Economy seat if you were offered Business Class for the same price? ;)

Reaction score
Country
Agreed, if you can afford them then upgrade the injectors and definitely go for the 740's as they are like only £20 more :) The only issue is that they arent cheap esp with todays exchange rates :(

I just didnt have the money at the time but plan on a remap in the future with a bigger turbo anyway so ill be upping the injectors then.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Cool, cheers guys :)

Judging by whats been said above, I think I'll keep the stock AFM and injectors for the mapping. They'd be nice things to have uprated, but if their not going to benifit me for what I want to achieve, then I'll save my pennies for somthing else! And also saves be buying another air filter for the Z32, when my current one is almost new.

Looks like the next step will be to find myself a nice turbo elbow (probably THS ;) ) and then book a mapping session with Jez! Just can't wait to get it all done, and ready for some summer fun! :D

I should probably be asking Jez this, but does anyone know if he sets up the boost controller as part of the mapping? As it will definatly need setting up to run the extra boost. It's a Greddy Profec-B.

Thanks again, Craig

:) :thumbs: :cool:

Reaction score
In the same position now myself,
My apexi power fc should have landed yesterday but customs haven’t released it. F**kers are probably going to rob me.
Is an upgrade fuel pump a most?
Also wondering about a tubular mani know a few rally drivers recon they`re not great as they take heat from the engine which isn’t always a good thing.
The link below is that the plug mentioned the BKR7EIX. ??????
http://cgi.ebay.ie/NGK-IRIDIUM-SPARK-PLUGS-BKR7EIX-UPGRADE-PRICE-EACH_W0QQitemZ190252390191QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item190252390191&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
And for a manifold this one alright??
http://cgi.ebay.ie/NISSAN-200SX-S15-99-02-SR20DET-EXHAUST-TURBO-MANIFOLD_W0QQitemZ120376025793QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item120376025793&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

So in sort anyone that knows where i can get a few bits, links to ebay r shops be sweet.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Unless you're planning serious power above 350bhp, the stock mani is fine, plus it comes with all the heat shielding. Its true that as soon as a tubular mani goes in, your engine bay temps will shoot up and you'll need to heat blanket a few things - particularly the brake lines and ABS.

M

Matt_S

LOL! Even I put 740s in cos I didnt wanna stress the 550s at 350! :D

Injectors clog up with age. Hence why you get them cleaned and see a performance gain (heck even the pikey inj cleaners in cans help a bit!). If youre running them that close to max as a 'fresh' set it doesnt bode well in the long term.

M

Matt_S

In the same position now myself,
My apexi power fc should have landed yesterday but customs haven’t released it. F**kers are probably going to rob me.
Is an upgrade fuel pump a most?
Also wondering about a tubular mani know a few rally drivers recon they`re not great as they take heat from the engine which isn’t always a good thing.
The link below is that the plug mentioned the BKR7EIX. ??????
http://cgi.ebay.ie/NGK-IRIDIUM-SPARK-PLUGS-BKR7EIX-UPGRADE-PRICE-EACH_W0QQitemZ190252390191QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item190252390191&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
And for a manifold this one alright??
http://cgi.ebay.ie/NISSAN-200SX-S15-99-02-SR20DET-EXHAUST-TURBO-MANIFOLD_W0QQitemZ120376025793QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item120376025793&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

So in sort anyone that knows where i can get a few bits, links to ebay r shops be sweet.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Fuel pump a MUST!

Those plugs and manifold seem OK (from the title - didnt click the link)
Awesome plug for the money :thumbs:

And as said, manifold gives you top end power potential gains - but it loses you low end and off boost torque and increases under bonnet temps. Its a game you have to play. Same as having a noisier exhaust! :wack: :D