What's new

Cold Start Problem

C

convertjon

Hi all,

New to this site and new to S15 ownership...picked it up on Friday! Sadly, my new toy is giving me a bit of a headache.

When trying to start it, after it's been stood for a good few hours, it takes many attempts for it to fire. The engine turns over, but just doesn't fire up. When it does eventually do so (took about 12 attempts today), it starts really sluggishly. Within a few seconds it settles and idles at about 950rpm.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about:
a) why it takes so many attempts to start and
b) is the slow rise in rpm normal?

If there's any more information any wise folk need to give me a clue, please let me know!

Thanks folks.

Jon

Reaction score
Hi, WTTC :wave:

Not 100% sure and there will be more knowledgeable blokes along soon to give you a definitive answer, but do you know what spark plugs you have fitted? maybe they are too cold.. Heard this causing cold start problems quite alot!

I dont think the slow rise in RPM is normal for a cold start, mine shoots up to about 1400 to get it warm then drops to below 1000 for normal idle

C

convertjon

Hi,

Thanks for the response, I'll have to have a look when daylight is on my side! My brother-in-law, who used to be an auto-electrician, had a little look and reckons the battery is too small for the car. Voltage dips right down to 9V when it starts. also can not be started with the lights on (just a test). It is physically a very small battery, but there's a little undertray it sits on and the tie down bar is specifically shaped for it.

But, I went to the demon-Halfors (feeling a quick fix could be iminent) and bought what was listed as the battery for a 200sx. Thought the S14 battery would fit...sadly not, terminals are on the wrong side and there's zero chance of them stretching. Buttocks!

Anyone know a battery that will fit...or is everyone's only a little one?

Cheers!

C

convertjon

Search boy, search!

Hey again,

Just been searching older posts more thoroughly and realised some of these bridges have been crossed already! Apologies to Nicely and co.

So the Varta Asia 055, would be the battery of choice for FMIC-less me, but anyone have any opinion as to whether it could sort the sluggish start issue?

As penance for not checking the threads, a trip back to Halfords to plead for my cash back is in order....plums! :eek:

C

convertjon

The Update

New battery...when it does fire now, it sounds much more energetic....however, it's still not a first time go-er.
Starts easier with a few dabs on the throttle, but apparently this is a no-no when starting a car from cold?

Looked at the plugs, standard heat range plugs and brand new, so no joy there.

So, love the new car when it's going, but sadly...it's not always going!

Any help would still be greatfully received!

Jon

M

Matt_S

I think you need to look at the cold start 'wax' pot on the front of the plenum. If you download the manual for the S14/a you can get instructions on how to set it up.