What's new

Battery Question

D

Derek

Lads whats the story with the battery. Its shit.

1. Has anyone changed the battery?
2. Can i change terminals for a Uk/irl domestic battery?
3. Anyone reccomend a battery to put in or know what amp the battery is.
4 Can i get a battery with terminals that small?

I was doing a bit of wiring to the car at weekend and she is going dead now after i charge and drive car. I'm almost 100% positive its now my wiring, Checked over it to make sure.

Any ideas?

Derek

Reaction score
I was fitting my alarm last weekend, had my doors open for about 3hours and it died! Same thing happened when i was getting it alligned, the mechanic left the door open and it died. I dont know if the red top racing batteries would be any better

http://www.apexperformance.co.uk/ca...35&PHPSESSID=8ac016702114099ca10416c06bd74c46

My RX7 used to die and i went to a car audio place, for a battery the same size and weight, which could produce enough power for there demo system (which was huge!) cost ?399. I promptly walked out...

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Bigger battery on the boot would solve these problems :)
The stock battery actually managed to start the car from the boot.
Didnt think it could manage it with the current drop.
It didn't sound to happy though but it was also the first starup in 6 months. So that could also be it.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The stock battery should be up to the task. You might want to consider changing it, as most batteries only come with a 4 year guarantee. Even if you've got a 2002 car, the factory battery is going to be pushing it, especially when you remember that the car spent a number of months in the middle of the sea and then is having to cope with constant winter temps...

I would NOT recommend a Redtop. They are race batteries and are not built for constant recharging. You will find they run down quicker.

Not sure about getting a battery with the small terminals. I doubt it. Will probably have to change the clamps and get an S14 battery :nod:

I would think long before relocating to the boot. Not only will you lose valuable boot space, but it is VERY inefficient to pass the current and charge over that distance BEFORE its even distributed.

I've got an FMIC which passes the cold pipe through the battery tray and have run a Redtop for 8 months - it is shite. I am now about to change over to a standard battery repositioned at 90 degrees to the original and with a couple of cable extensions. This may not be up to the standards of high power batteries, but it'll certainly be a vast improvement on the Redtop.

You may also want to consider a solar trickle charger. I don't drive the S15 most of the week, and had been finding that the battery is dead within the week in the current weather. I bought a small trickle charger and fitted it in the rear window. I switch it on if I'm leaving the car for a day or more and it sends a constant small 'top-up' current to the battery. Not enough to charge up a dead battery, but enough to stop it dropping. Has worked well.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I have a smaller red-top style battery, runs low very quickly :nod:. But as i dont run the car during the week i ust disconnect it, next time i connect it its fine :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I could do that, but I park on the street and don't fancy having no alarm :eek: Also, it pisses me off having to set the clock and losing the mileage in the trip meter (I use it to keep an eye on fuel consumption - an early warning for problems).

D

Derek

Thanks for feedback lads. Good to see i'm not the only one with this problem. I'm after sourcing a battery same size as my own wit small terminals through a motor factors that supply me with stuff in work. Should have it tomorrow so hopefully that'll do trick. I dont really like the sound of relocation my battery to boot.

@ nicely where did ypu get the solar charge thing? I'm in same boat car would be parked up most days. Will only take it out if its dry.

Derek

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You can pick them up off Ebay from ?15 up. I got mine via a trusted supplier though. Are you parked-up on the street or in a garage? If you're in a garage, I'd get a slightly bigger panel, mount it to a south-facing wall and just croc-clip it to the battery when needed.

They came with a fag lighter adapter, but you have to hard wire it to the battery.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I've heard from people with redtops that they have problems. Some switch to the yellowtop instead and it's supposed to be much better for a daily driver.

I don't have the space issue so I just go to the local cheapo-store and get whatever I want :p

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
That's the one I've got. Cranking ampage ain't much use when the thing's dead. :( You Aussie guys probably wouldn't have the same problems cos it rarely gets under 10 degrees over there (and then mainly at night).

D

Derek

Nicely said:
You can pick them up off Ebay from ?15 up. I got mine via a trusted supplier though. Are you parked-up on the street or in a garage? If you're in a garage, I'd get a slightly bigger panel, mount it to a south-facing wall and just croc-clip it to the battery when needed.

They came with a fag lighter adapter, but you have to hard wire it to the battery.
the car will be parked in garage that i must get around to finishing. Whats the exact name of the solar panel. Will look up ebay later.. I'm in work and shouldn't be using the computer for pleasure purposes :rolleyes: ..

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Derek said:
I'm in work and shouldn't be using the computer for pleasure purposes :rolleyes: ..
Yeah, like all of us... :p

The one I actually got is this one.

If you do a search for 'solar trickle charger' on Ebay, you'll get what you're after.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Derek said:
Nicely said:

the car will be parked in garage that i must get around to finishing. Whats the exact name of the solar panel. Will look up ebay later.. I'm in work and shouldn't be using the computer for pleasure purposes :rolleyes: ..
You just have to learn the secret art of "alt+tab" :) :wave: