What's new

Oil pressure gauge question on a Spec-S

C

chriss85

Hi I have a Spec-S S15 which didnt come with a oil pressure gauge however I have got my hands on one and I was wondering if anyone knew where the map sensor picked up the oil pressure from on the engine, also does anyone know where the map sensor is located on the car?

many thanks

Christian

M

Matt_S

There is no map sensor.
The oil pressure sensor (which detects if the oil pressure drops below approx 1 bar) is located on the drivers side of the block, on the rear of the oil filter housing.

C

chriss85

Cheers Matt. So do you suppose I would just wire the gauge up to the OEM sendor, once I've figured out what wires what on the back of the gauge?

M

Matt_S

Yeh thats exactly what I did on my S14. I disconnected the OEM warning light sender and removed it. Then I put the Defi Oil Pressure Gauge sender in it. Same thread ;)
Pulled the bulb in the dash so that wasnt going off all the time too :wack:
I also got the Defi Controller II which beeps at you if you hit a warning. Not that I could hear it wackin it off the limiter with my crash helmet on when I was drifting :wack:

LOL :D

C

chriss85

Cool. Cheers mate. So do you reckon I'll need another sender although my gauge is an OEM part from the Spec S which have the gauge as standard, or do you think my sender will be the same although my car did'nt come with a gauge?
Sorry for all the questions...

M

Matt_S

Err, youre saying you had an Oil pressure GAUGE?
Ive never seen a factory S Body have a gauge before. I want pics to prove it! :wack: :D

The problem youll have is powering it. When you go for something like the Defis they have their own COntroller and power supply. Not sure how that would work on the OEM sender.

C

chriss85

Yeah, Most of the spec S's came with an oil pressure gauge's in place of the Spec R boost gauge. Mine However did not, But I have since been given the gauge with an A piller pod. Looks just like the Spec R boost gauge but oil pressure in stead.
I've worked out how to power the gauge but im not sure where the Spec s's with the gauge fitted as standard pick up the signal for oil pressure.

M

Matt_S

Uh! Never knew that! :)
If its a OEM part then I guess it has its own setup using a common sender, but then obviously it can detect the low pressure and light the warnign light on the dash too as well as operate the pod gauge. Im confident it would use the same sender takeoff as the stock 'low pressure' sender.

C

chriss85

Cool, I splice in the signal wire from the gauge, power it up and see what happens.
Cheers Matt.

C

chriss85

Tryed it, and it no work...
The gauge works as the neadle lifts when you turn on the ignition, but thats about it. So the spec S with the gauge as standard must have either a different pressure sender or a map sensor I suppose.
How on earth am I going to find this out...Oh well, back to the drawing board.

M

Matt_S

LOL, it will have a different pressure sender for sure! The normal low pressure light will only give off a voltage when theres no pressure (or less than 1 bar).
Also, stop going on about MAP sensors! Its not a map sensor! Its a pressure sensor! MAP sensors are for manifold pressures (MAP = Manifold absolute pressure). Normally not more than 4 bar, mostly up to 3 bar depending what boost you want to run.

You need an oil pressure sender - which will read in excess of 6 bar.

C

chriss85

Oh I see. Dont worry I'll never mention map sensors again, I promise.
I'll look into it and find out what one the spec s comes with.
Thanks again mate.