What's new

Rude shock

Reaction score
Guys,

Seriously need your help and opinions.

Overview:- When i bought my S15, it didnt come with a few standard amenities such as the Apillar boost gauge, SRS steering wheel and H.I.D lights. I forgave all this and went ahead with my car as it was the most pristine condition car i ever saw and it had a flawlwss underbody ridding me of any thoughts that it may have been abused in its previous life as a drift king. In other words, my car was an L-Package.

Problem:- I ordered myself a brand new A-pillar garnish with the boost gauge and to my horror when i opened my existing A-pillar, with some silly blitz mechanical boost meter attached to it, i found no brackets etc or connectors to hook up with the OEM unit that is digital. A very good mate of mine who works in Japan said that L-Packages are rather exclusive and some of the trimmings are not interchangable with the V-package ones which 90 percent of us own.

So what am i to do now? Should i just sell her off and get another one with the whole works...i need some serious input guys. Take yor time to reply, now that i know i bought myself a lemon. Im only intermediate at automotive wiring and the factory manual is not helping one bit. Please share your thoughts? is there a connector somewhere and im not looking?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
There is an independent boost sensor and wiring required for the OEM gauge.

Why not just fit a GReddy A pillar pod like most of the S14 boys have to do? Sure, its not OEM, but its far less drastic than selling the car...

Reaction score
BOOST SENSOR? where is it located? i thought the OEM gauge reads off the ecu directly? Anyway i traced the wiring that is connected to the Blitz boost gauge and found that it was modified to fit what looks to be an OE female socket.Will hook up to that socket and see how things go.

How about your car nicely? Does it have the OEM boost gauge? If you do ill appreciate if you could take a pic of the reverse side for me...just to see what type of socket does the wiring plug into. Under my dashboard are a lot of female connectors that are open and just tied up neatly and tucked away.

Thanks a lot mate. Really appreciate the help

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
You would need the boost sensor in the engine bay too.
I beliave the boost gauge is a complete stand alone system.

check useful thread in the remove boost gauge and fit Defi thread for pics.

Reaction score
Amused
1) L-package vehicles are not so common
2) L-pack did not have HIDs are standard, it was only an option. Collegues that have bought S15s in Japan have searched out L-package models specifically for this reason - HIDs do not SVA in UK due to lack of auto leveling and lamp washers so would have to be converted to non-HID for the test
3) All Turbos should have come with a boost gauge, strange that yours didn't
4) The L-package trim is not massively different to other models. Gauges have chrome rings around them, leather front seats, leather inserts in the door and chrome gearlever surround - there shouldn't any change in architecture
5) L-package vehicles were aimed at the more mature driver hence the leather and chrome and probably didn't care for the fashionable HIDs. That is probably why, like mine, it is in near pristine condition. Also I would think drifters wouldn't want to pay the premium of an L-package vehicle over a regular vehicle when the first thing most of them do is throw out the seats and install some Brides or Recaros!
Can't help with the wiring of the boost gauge, wiring a house plug is about my limit.

Reaction score
Dear Ozone,

Yes you listed the L(luxury) package options correctly except that on this package the boost gauge was optional. This is what i understand from a mate in Japan. And most of the L -Packages were sold off dealerships in automatic transmission. I did check my transaxle codes and it matches the gearbox so at least i know my importer didnt rip me off that one.

Yakozan,

Where is the boost sensor located in the engine bay? I cant find much help from the manuals.

Reaction score
Website
www.littleknocks.co.uk
I wired up the standard gauge in my drift car a while back. Its very easy. I even have the nissan map sensor which the gauge needs if you want it.
The wires on the gauge are as follows,

Red 1 - Constant live
Red 2 - Ign live
Black - earth
Yellow - Signal from map sensor
White - light +
White - light -

The Map sensor has three wires and a vacume pipe input.
12v
Earth
Signal

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The sensor is attached to the driver's side front suspension turret, right next to the BMC. You won't find in the Australia workshop manual because the ADM S15s didn't have a gauge.

Reaction score
No wonder:) Now that figures. LK drifter, yea i would appreciate if i could purchase the stuff from you. I PM'ed you

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
so if that sensor is the standard map sensor then surely removing it would have some sort of consequences to the running of the engine? i've removed mine and had it remapped and its fine?

you have me worried now, should i refit mine even though its made no difference?

M

Matt_S

so if that sensor is the standard map sensor then surely removing it would have some sort of consequences to the running of the engine? i've removed mine and had it remapped and its fine?

you have me worried now, should i refit mine even though its made no difference?
Its a MAP sensor for the Gauge and the gauge only. Your car (as all of them) runs on MAF/AFM rather than MAP.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
thats what i thought, but i was starting to get worried that the mafm took care of airflow readings and the 'map' sensor did something else.....thanks for clearing that up for me!:)

Reaction score
Country
Ive just brought a new OEM STRI boost gauge with its own sensor like the standard gauge as id rather avoid running a boost pipe into the cabin as its another place something can leak. I did wonder for a while if all that sensor did was give the boost reading to the gauge.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
remove it mate, make some room and save a little weight:)
the engine bays cramped as is

Reaction score
Ive just brought a new OEM STRI boost gauge with its own sensor like the standard gauge as id rather avoid running a boost pipe into the cabin as its another place something can leak. I did wonder for a while if all that sensor did was give the boost reading to the gauge.
I do like them STRI gauges they even have a near perfect Silvia S badge on them
:cool:

Which one did you get what part number I was looking at this one would it be ok?

Product SKU: SLM5231