What's new

Power FC Knock Level

G

gunner93

For those with Apex-i Power FC, the instruction manual says :

"There is no value to the Knock Level. Please be aware that "0" may not be the only value when the vehicle is not detonating. There is no Knock retard system within the Power FC".

How is it that some people reported thay can read knock level at 60 or 70 or 80? Am I missing some connection or something? :confused:

Reaction score
Country
well on mine i get anything up to 20 knock on my PFC thats after a good tune.
before it was tune i would get anything up to 60 knck.
If your not getting anything at all i would be worried, could be the actual sensor it self.

G

gunner93

Hi Raytsang,

I have a FC-Commander. Under "Monitor", up to 8 engine parameters can be displayed. I have selected as follows:

1) Knock
2) Bat Voltage
3) Water Temp
4) Boost
5) RPM
6) Inj Duty
7) IgnT Leading
8) IgnT Trailing

All except Knock and Air Temp has no value. (I have not selected Air Temp to be displayed).

Does it mean my PFC is not connected to the Knock sensor?

Reaction score
Country
dont worry about air temp the power fc the s15 does not have a air temp sensor connected to power fc.

if you monitor your knock and does not move at all.i recon your knock sensor needs to be replaced.

Reaction score
does anyone have a PDF file of instructions please???

i've got a D-jetro, but can't read the japanese instructions! lol

Reaction score
Have you got it in real time monitoring mode, were it shows whats happening as its running.

If you don't have the Power FC boost controller kit you won't need that display:)

2OOsxy

yeah mine is recording a fair old knock level at the moment, but after a lot of tuning and even replacing the knock sensor ... we are pretty confident it's actually a darn vibration setting the "sensor" off. So time to pull shields and everything else off to find that sucker.

The lower the number the better - but just remember the knock sensor is really just like a microphone or such.

Reaction score
yeah mine is recording a fair old knock level at the moment, but after a lot of tuning and even replacing the knock sensor ... we are pretty confident it's actually a darn vibration setting the "sensor" off. So time to pull shields and everything else off to find that sucker.

The lower the number the better - but just remember the knock sensor is really just like a microphone or such.

Do you lose traction to the rears often, that will give you a high knock level as its reading the noise through the drive train as you break the rears;)

2OOsxy

har har har - I try not to! I'm hoping it's just a heat shield vibrating as I have a few :p

E

Endless

Hi Raytsang,

I have a FC-Commander. Under "Monitor", up to 8 engine parameters can be displayed. I have selected as follows:

1) Knock
2) Bat Voltage
3) Water Temp
4) Boost
5) RPM
6) Inj Duty
7) IgnT Leading
8) IgnT Trailing

All except Knock and Air Temp has no value. (I have not selected Air Temp to be displayed).

Does it mean my PFC is not connected to the Knock sensor?

When you check for the maximum values for all parameters on the commander, does the knock level show anything? do you notice a bar on the right side of knock (commander) when you press on the pedal in natural?

G

gunner93

Hi Endless,

No reading on knock-value on "Monitor".

The real-time-graph has no run lines like other parameters.

I went to "ETC" and set the Knock Warning to "on" in Jap. Still no reading.

If the loom harness is plugged into the PFC ECU, I should get reading unless there is a toggle which disable the reading from Datalogit / FC Edit (I'm guessing). Else, the knock sensor may be buggered like Raytsang mentioned.

Help...

Last edited:
G

gunner93

If you don't have the Power FC boost controller kit you won't need that display:)

Hi Auss15,

I am using Greddy Profec Boost Controller now but I have reasons to believe the Apexi pressure sensor is also connected to my PFC because I can also read boost from the Commander. Mind my ignorance but is there any relevance on the Power FC boost controller with the knock readings? :confused:

G

gunner93

Updated : Seems when I set peak hold, the max knock level i see is 7. My feel is its too safe and obviously running very rich. Hmmmm...

M

Matt_S

Hi Endless,

No reading on knock-value on "Monitor".

The real-time-graph has no run lines like other parameters.

I went to "ETC" and set the Knock Warning to "on" in Jap. Still no reading.

If the loom harness is plugged into the PFC ECU, I should get reading unless there is a toggle which disable the reading from Datalogit / FC Edit (I'm guessing). Else, the knock sensor may be buggered like Raytsang mentioned.

Help...
'KNock Warning On' just means you get the engine management light flash up when you hit 60 knock.

M

Matt_S

All sorts of things can play havoc, the last of which I was told was blows in the exh!

G

gunner93

Its been a while now. Seems like when I hold peak, my knock readings max so far at 11. Otherwise most of the time its 4 to 7-ish and below 10. Was wondering if this is not optimised tuning???