What's new

Boost Guage Has Failed!

J

james_pa28

Typical, as soon as I put my car up for sale, something goes wrong

Just noticed this morning on the way to work that the needle is slapped way back against -7 on the gauge.

It's a standard fit pillar mounted S15 gauge which I believe is controlled electrically!?!? Mainly because it doesn't sit at 0 when the engine is off! Which I always thought was to do with vacuum on a mechanical gauge.

Anyone got any ideas what to check or look for, heard of the problem before maybe?

Cheers!

James

J

james_pa28

Thanks alot mate, I'll have a good read through at lunchtime :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Does anyone know the size of the piping (length and diameter) i would need to replace the stock item ?

I would check myself but my car is probably somewhere in the Indian Ocean at the moment :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I just used some standard 5mm boost hose. You will need to keep some of the old hose on the boost sensor nipple to make up the difference in diameter.

J

james_pa28

Well bizarrely the gauge starting working again on the way home! It's holding boost and running perfectly through the gears!

So I think great, problem solved,

I'm home and now it's stopped working again! Obviously electrical not mechanical fault!!!

I can only guess it might be a contact somewhere, anyone know where is useful for check, or what fuses my be in the circuit with the gauge! I'm not very mechanically minded so I apologies for the stupid q's!

Cheers!

J

james_pa28

Ok made an interesting discovery this morning... not that it really helps though!

The gauge is always working when I start the car but switches off at any time! If you turn the ignition off and on, it will come back on until it wants to switch off again.

I noticed today on the way to work, I'm pulling away from the trafic lights nice and sedately, glanced over and the needle suddenly sweeped around to max boost then back round to negative and stopped at -7!!!

Very strange! I'm glad I don't have a german or Italian car if an electrical this minor is so confusing!

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I would be looking for a loose electrical connection.

J

james_pa28

I've had a fiddle about with all the plugs, I wonder if all needs a quick going over with a wire brush or something. Think I could do with checking behind the actual gauge if I get a chance on Saturday!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
:no: There's lots of stuff I don't know. But you will usually get the answer off someone else :) I just remember a lot of other people's findings ;)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
You're head is like a huge Nissan Silvia reference library - you litterally do know everything don't you? :D
lol... yep he does know way too much.

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
yup nicely doe know a lot but then u can learn a lot here from other ppls finding nicely has learnt off me aswell haha as well i ive learnt twice as much from him tho lol

but yeh nicely is :thumbs: