What's new

Defi Gauges

D

Derek

I see Nengun Performance have a special on defi gauages at moment. My question is. I know the gauges up to six plug into Defi-Link Control right. What does the control panel plug into too. Is it just a matter of wiring it or will i have to tap into sump etc. They mechanical gauges so i think that means there's no drilling needed. Anybody clear this up for me?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Derek said:
I see Nengun Performance have a special on defi gauages at moment. My question is. I know the gauges up to six plug into Defi-Link Control right. What does the control panel plug into too. Is it just a matter of wiring it or will i have to tap into sump etc. They mechanical gauges so i think that means there's no drilling needed. Anybody clear this up for me?
Yes, they've had them for special price for ages now :)

I think all the senders go to the control unit which sends the signal out to the gauges.
connecting the gauges should be quite easy as they connect as a chain.

I suppose it's the BF series you're reffering to and they're all electric ones.
You'll still have to fit the senders in the appropriate places (sandwhich plate or sump or whatever is best) and then connect them to the controller unit.
I think the controller box connects to power, lighting, ignition and earth. Maybe not the lighting one as I suppose the gauges are lit all the time. Would be hard to see the readings if not :p

Don't know what you mean with the drilling part :confused:
Do you mean to get the wires through the firewall? Just use an existing hole :thumbs:

D

Derek

Cheers for that, I partly guessed there were on nengun site for ages. :rolleyes: My main question were regarding the sensors. Wasn't to sure how to fit them. There isn't a hole lot of work involved something i reckon i'd take on anyway. Here is the link to the website it tells you all about installing them. Very good detail. http://www.defi-shop.co.uk/

All i know is the V.S.D.2 unit is a mighty job. Projects your speed and Gear etc on Windscreen.

Reaction score
All the sensors plug directly into the control unit. You also need to hook up power, accessories, lights and earth to the control unit. Then use the daisy chain cable to connect the control unit to the first guage. Then for every other guage you just connect it to the last one.

Yakozan said:
Maybe not the lighting one as I suppose the gauges are lit all the time. Would be hard to see the readings if not :p
If you hook up the lighting switch, you can set the dimming properties of the guages so at night they don't blind you, as they can be quite bright.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
dcoghlan said:
....If you hook up the lighting switch, you can set the dimming properties of the guages so at night they don't blind you, as they can be quite bright.

Thats a smart thing :)
Is it working with the stock ADM interior light dimmer? Or is it a separate dimmer controll?
Just wondering if the guys with JDM would have problems with dimming as the JDM S15 doesn't have a interior light dimmer.

Reaction score
there is no need to hook it up to the dimmer.

It work on the same wire/premise that the head unit does. When you turn on the headlights, it dimms the defi guages. The amount that the guages get dimmed by is actually controlled by the defi controll unit, and you can set it to whatever you want.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
dcoghlan said:
there is no need to hook it up to the dimmer.

It work on the same wire/premise that the head unit does. When you turn on the headlights, it dimms the defi guages. The amount that the guages get dimmed by is actually controlled by the defi controll unit, and you can set it to whatever you want.
OK.
Now I understand why the stereo dimmed when switching the headlights on. Thought my generator or battery could be on it's last legs :wave:

K

khoala

also if you don't hook the light wire up...your control unit doesn't light up at night.

i hooked up all my guages into my car (oil temp, oil pressure, water temp and boost) fairly simple
only hard thing is to find the best way through that darn firewall!
hooking up the sensors...best to get the adaptors.
GReddy water tem adaptor is only 40 bucks and you splice your top radiator hose and put the unit in between.
GReddy oil filter sandwich plate, remove your oil fileter, put the plate in and the oil filter over the top., plus up the oil pressure and oil temp sensors (preferably before you install th plate)
and don't forget to use some plumbers tape just incase it isn't as tight as it should be